Question 8

“Two or Three things I know for sure” by Dorothy Alison is very different from the other books we have read in class because of its authenticity. Most of the other Books we have read were all fiction, but the stories were very close to being non fiction. In “on the road” by Jack Kerouac we read about a man who goes back and forth all over the U.S, but we also knew that the author had done something similar to this. He had also traveled the states back an forth. But its still not as real as Dorothy Alison, because he changed the names and we don’t know for sure if everything happened the way he claimed it. But in Dorothy Alison’s book we know it happened and she has some amount of proof to show.  Knowing that this book is real and that it all really happened make a big difference then when I read a book I know is fiction. You create an image when it’s fiction , when it’s non-fiction like a memoir the image is already created for you .

This entry was posted in Blog Post 6. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Question 8

1. Interesting point, Alex. You say that knowing that the “book is real” makes a “big difference.” How exactly do you react differently to a book that you think is “true,” and does it matter to you that Allison may be making up some of the details she couldn’t remember?