Beth Tondreau | COMD1127—D035 | Fall 2023

Renelt_TT_110223

Dream In Color: This cover is very successful. The holographic foiled background makes the bold, black, sans-serif font really pop. The foil of the background also draws the viewer’s attention to the word “DREAM” before the other words. The type hierarchy is used well also. The title versus the subtitles and attributions is very well balanced and the cover is overall very symmetrical with the centered alignment.

Extra Bold: This cover gives a 3D feel to a 2D cover with great use of warm colors. The Color blocking creates a visually captivating cover and draws the viewer’s eye starting from the top and progressing downward. The sans-serif font was a great choice because of the color blocking. Although this is a relatively simple design, the color makes it interesting.

Centered: This design uses two colors but utilizes great texture. The cover looks almost hand-painted and collaged together and centered on the cover. The color blue is royal, bright, and visually interesting. The white on the blue is both legible and readable.

Oubey: This cover is my favorite one by far. The use of the 3D elements creates texture and dimension which makes this very visually interesting. Although the artist doesn’t use color, the cover is still visually captivating. The title is a little hard to read, but I think that is the point. I would like to know what process he used to create this because it looks to me like he utilized 3D printing. I wonder if the first prototype was a different method, but the reproduced version is an easier method like 3D printing. Whatever process the artist used, this is my favorite by far.

1. Beth (Mary-Elizabeth) Tondreau

Well seen and described. Centered certainly addresses breaking the canonic mold while the slipcase for The Art of Oubey, from my searches, is a molded work of not only practicality but art.