Beth Tondreau | COMD1127—D035 | Fall 2023

Norfleet_tt_082923

Script is my favorite type face, It was mainly used around the 16th and 17th century. It comes from Serif but used for formality. It’s a very formal kind of font that was often expressed through types of love letters poems, invitations .Script comes from calligraphy and handwriting. Script could be in formal letters and was the main type face that was used to write to others. It was normal to even study and practice calligraphy in school.

However, between Helvetica and script, I would be able to read and type better using Helvetica. It’s more of a formal way for people now to type and understand.

1. Beth (Mary-Elizabeth) Tondreau

Script typefaces are beautiful; I can understand the attraction. A key clarification is that SCRIPT is a classification—an umbrella name for a number of typefaces based on the work of writing masters. Within the SCRIPT classification, there are faces such as: Snell Roundhand, Bickham, Nuptial Script . . . and more!

You are absolutely right that Helvetica is easier to read and less delicately-fussy.