Julie Andrews

Julie-Andrews_01

Many people look to the likes of Maya Angelou, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Eleanor Roosevelt, Alice Walker or Shirley Chisholm as their feminist heroes. But as a young girl, I never knew of these women or their heroic roles in America. Most of them I only know little of; mainly a brief knowledge of their largest achievements and nothing more.

Julie-Andrews_02

American poet, memoirist, and civil rights activist.

Julie-Andrews_03

American politician.

Julie-Andrews_04

Late former First Lady of the United States.

Julie-Andrews_05

American novelist, writer, poet, and activist.

Julie-Andrews_06

American politician, educator, author and the first black woman to be elected to the US Congress.

As a young girl, the strong women in my life were my grandmothers, my mother, my aunts and… Julie Andrews.

Julie-Andrews_07

Dane Julia Elizabeth Andrews:
Born October
 1, 1935.
English actress, singer, and dancer.

Dane Julie Andrews is, well,  the  BOMB.  

Julie-Andrews_08

She was Queen Clarisse Rinaldi, Mary Poppins, Maria Von Trapp and basically just the most magical woman– Nay! HUMAN– to exist in my lifetime. I watched The Sound of Music and wanted to be as reckless and filled with the life that Andrews’ Maria was and is. I wanted to be as in control as Mary Poppins and just as straight up fire as the queen she portrayed in The Princess Diaries.

Julie-Andrews_09

Her fictional roles, however, pale in comparison to a woman who has had a career that spans over seven decades and a multitude of awards. Julie Andrews may have lost some of her range vocally, but she continues as a cultural icon. She perseveres and remains one of my favorite of my role models.

As I continue to discover myself as a woman, I will, of course, find new heroes and new goals. However, Julie Andrews was one of the first public women I ever looked up to and I still admire her as such.

All artwork by Pebbles.

(Happy belated birthday, Dane Julie Andrews!)

1 thought on “Julie Andrews

1. Ditto to everything. I love this woman; she’s so dignified and beautiful and talented and timeless. The Sound of Music will forever remain one of my favorite movies of all time.