Essay#6-Reading Photographs

Reading Photographs

When I look at this photograph I see a place where women tend to hang out. A place where mostly women go by the way it is set up with benches and the numerous amount of women in the photo. This photo looks as though it was taken in the 1800s by the way the women are dressed. The women picture have long black dresses that cover most of their bodies. That could have something to do with women not being able to expose their bodies in a sexual manner like in the past. It looks like a store that sells fabrics and materials for clothing to be made by the signs that I see in the picture. As I look more the store looks as if it sells more than just fabric by the way the showcase that is displayed. At first glance though this photo does not look like a department store as it says in the description because of the way the store is set up. It doesn’t look like a department store because it doesn’t look as big as one would imagine a department store to be. By the description of the photo I’m surprised to find out that it was actually owned by a man being as though there were a lot of women in the store. I’m also shocked to find out that it was one of the largest department stores because it doesn’t look very big to me in the picture. The information in the blog changes my interpretation and observation by things may not be what they seem at first. Just by looking at a picture may look one way at first but after observing what your really looking at, you can ultimately see something very different. Just by discussing every detail of the picture as a class and seeing that everyone interpreted in a different way got me to pay more attention to details.