Essay 6 Reflection

Reflection

This fall semester I took a course involving the SAFA project or in other words Students and Faculty in the Archives project. This allowed me access to materials from the Brooklyn Historical Society and their archives. Having never been in a program like this, I have to say it was a wonderful learning experience. Being able to learn about certain locations in Brooklyn and reading about Brooklyn history through written work and documents, has opened my eyes to a whole new Brooklyn. We would spent time in the Brooklyn Historical Society’s library viewing old maps one day and the next we would be reading old letters and documents. This was my first experience working with such fragile pieces of information. One of the most memorable experiences I have with this program was when we took the walking tour around Downtown Brooklyn and Brooklyn Heights. We walked around and viewed some historical monuments and were told fascinating facts about Brooklyn. I feel being in the SAFA project with the Brooklyn Historical Society affected me differently than my fellow classmate’s, because I never really been in Brooklyn, before entering this semester in college. Being part of this program truly did help me understand more about Brooklyn and the area I study at. I would recommend the SAFA project to anyone, even people who at first wouldn’t find it interesting at first, because in the end it’s an enjoyable leaning program and you have a lot to gain from taking it. That’s what I mainly took from this program and don’t regret ever taking it.

Vocabulary

Promenade– (Noun) – A stroll or walk, especially in a public place, as for pleasure, or display.

Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/promenade)

Archives(Noun) – Documents or records relating to the activities, business dealings, etc., of a person, family, corporation, association, community, or nation

Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/archive)

This entry was posted in Reflections and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.