Essay 6 Blog Post Revison

Walking Tour Blog

When I first heard about walking tour with the Brooklyn Historical Society I was honestly not interested and didn’t feel like attending. After taking the walking tour I completely changed my opinion, not only, of the tour but of Brooklyn as well. The tour was only of Downtown Brooklyn and Brooklyn Heights, and was around two to three hours long. Within that short period of time I viewed how beautiful the area around City Tech was and a lot about Brooklyn’s historical background, which I found incredibly amusing. When the tour began I immediately became interested with the stories they were telling us. One that really caught my attention was the burned down theater, because I remember hearing about this particular event but never really knew where it was. Another part of the tour that really just inspired me was the view of Manhattan from the promenade; I didn’t know about this area and thought the view of Manhattan was so close and beautiful; also the view of the Brooklyn Bridge was an added bonus. Another interesting and great part of the tour was how our guides told us the stories behind these certain historical buildings in Brooklyn, and their knowledge on Brooklyn’s history. One of the most interesting stories of the tour was the urban legend story about the crazy lady who took down the signs of the street names and replaced them with the different fruit names. Even thought the guides told us, that story wasn’t true it was nice to know, that it was an urban legend that many people believed in. Overall I enjoyed the tour we took with BHS, a lot and I do plan on visiting certain places again. I would absolutely recommend this tour to future students who decided to take part of the SAFA program next semester.