Research Question Proposal

Can we do something about racism?

Yes, in fact, we can do something. Racism has played a huge role in society today, discriminating against another culture or religion has become normalized. Racism happens every day whether it’s at school or a job. People are treated differently due to skin color. We can all make a change but we choose not to because society normalizes it. Throughout my childhood, I experienced and saw secondhand racism and cultural discrimination. I have interest in this question because this is a big issue affecting everyone, and we can do something about it and how we treat others but we haven’t it’s still happening. Racism mostly happens o one race black people, many people have died because of racism against black people, and protests of #blacklivesmatter have gone on about us having our rights. When I go to a store I’m being watched so I don’t “steal”, or I can’t walk out of a store without buying anything without looking suspicious. My nationality is African during my elementary, and middle school, time rumors would go on about Africans being very dark, and I wasn’t so people always had questions about why I was so light. The Ebola virus happened during that time they would say I had the Ebola virus and everyone would stay away from me or be afraid to touch me. Everyone and the teachers had a hard time saying my name, I was so ashamed of being African because of all the discrimination, I never accepted my culture I was embarrassed being African. I expect to see lots of information on how racism has made an individual treat another individual differently. How bad it affects many people’s mental health, and how racism makes it hard for people to find jobs and make money. I’m not surprised to find this there are so many different types of races, and stereotypes about different races, we don’t know what the race culture is. If I find any information different from what I expected I will go into more research. I would keep my topic and write about it anyways. Some articles I read said how racism is changing, and how people are taking time to learn more about a culture.