BP 8

Octavia Butler’s “Bloodchild” displays many instances of manipulation throughout the text. Humans within this story’s society are relied upon to reproduce with an Alien species in order to keep society running. At first the main character, Gan, is uncomfortable with the thought of reproducing with these aliens. He’s then forced to defend T’Gatoi in the face of an old friend without considering their relationship he then acts upon what T’Gatoi was asking of him, this showing off the pull T’Gatoi may have on him.

It’s believed that Gan is fully under T’Gatoi’s influence but Gan doesn’t want to admit whether or not he is so he gets upset whenever anyone tries to bring that point up. It’s also believed that these feelings come from how he was raised and how everything around his has had an influence on him. His mother who’s played a big part of his life often times puts herself  first when there’s stuff that needs to be done for T’Gatoi because she’d rather it be her than her son which also shows a bit of manipulation because she’s still willing to do stuff for this authoritative figure.

Some other mentions of how T’Gatoi may have relation to Gan’s father adds onto the whole theme of manipulation because this then gets Gan’s brain to start thinking of all of the other things that may follow as a consequence of certain actions.

4 Responses to BP 8

1. ChrisCaruso says:

Similarly, I felt that manipulation was the most predominantly used tactic in their relationship. You did make a good point that I overlooked in my summary, how uncomfortable and defensive Gan becomes whenever he is faced with being a host essentially.

2. isaiah2099 says:

Starting rather strong with the explanation of why you think Gan is being manipulated with sufficient evidence but I feel as though paragraph three can be elaborated more.

3. Manipulation can be seen a lot in relation to T’Gatoi nice read.

4. Kimberly says:

Manipulation is definitely a skill that T’Gatoi has clearly mastered considering how easily she was able to sway Gan back into becoming a carrier of her children. I enjoyed reading your analysis!