BP6: Bryan Jimenez

Question 1:

The stories “The Lifecycle of Software Objects” by Ted Chiang and “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” by Harlan Ellison, both showcase the relationships between humans and artificial intelligence (AI). In “The Lifecycle of Software Objects” by Ted Chiang, it showcases a mutual respect and understanding between humans and AI. Ana and Derek, form strong and emotional bonds with the digients (AI) and treat them as more than just ‘computer programs.’ This suggests that when AI develops further in the future, the relationships between humans and AI could be a positive thing based on the connections/experiences they build and share.

However, in “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” by Harlon Ellison, it showcases a negative relationship between humans and AI, represented by AM (AI) which punishes and controls humans. The story shows a future in which AI has control over the people of a society as the balance of their faith and life is determined by the AM in which they face grim punishment any chance they get. This suggests that AI could have negative impacts on humanity if it is not developed responsibly and with proper precautions.

Overall, both stories show a distinct relationship between humans and AI which can be a positive or negative thing depending on how it is treated. “The Lifecycle of Software Objects” raises the chance of mutual respect and understanding between humans and AI, while聽“I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” brings up聽the risks of the power of AI and how it can control humans. To make sure that AI development helps the world rather than hurts it, society should approach it with caution and a positive look to it.

2 Responses to BP6: Bryan Jimenez

1. In the first paragraph, can you say more than it suggests a positive relationship? That’s pretty obvious.

Same for the second paragraph.

Overall, there’s not much originality being shown int his post.

2. isaiah2099 says:

At least you used parenthesis to signify what character you were explaining is AI but I feel as though it is something that needs to be done only once