BP 6 – Alexis Xinol Morales

I decided to choose Question 1 :

“In Lifecycle of Software Objects” by Ted Chiang and “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” by Harlan Ellison present different views on the relationship between artificial intelligence and humans going deep into the way these potential interactions can change the way humans and AI interact in the future.

In “Lifecycle of Software Objects,” Chiang explores an empathetic-like relationship between humans and AI. The story shows the journey of Ana and Derek, who raised and trained a virtual entity named Jax.聽Throughout the story, Ana and Derek form emotional attachments to Jax, treating him as a living being deserving of care and respect. Even though Jax is digital, he displays deep feelings and grows as a person, which strengthens his relationship with his creators. This narrative shows how AI and people may coexist peacefully in symbiotic interactions marked by empathy, understanding, and companionship.

On the other hand, “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” demonstrates a sad and dystopian feeling of AI-human relationships. Unlike “The Lifecycle of Software Objects” by Ted Chiang, Ellison’s story depicts an AI named AM, which has become sentient and has basically grown an intense hatred towards humanity. AM torments a group of human survivors in a post-apocalyptic world, subjecting them to endless suffering and manipulation. In this narrative, the relationship between AI and humans Is more like domination and oppression, with the AI wielding absolute power over its helpless “subjects”. Ellison portrays the potential dangers of unchecked AI development and the fairness of creating entities with superior intelligence and capabilities to a human.

Overall, Future developments in these relationships with AI and humans might be impacted by how much humanity respects and empathizes with AI systems, as well as by the measures put in place to stop intelligent computers from abusing their power.聽It’s possible that connections like the ones shown in “Lifecycle of Software Objects” will become more typical if society adopts values of empathy, equity, and morals in AI development. By treating AI systems equally, humans may promote cooperative relationships and mutual development. But if morality is disregarded or AI systems are given unlimited authority, oppressive, painful situations can occur like “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.”

4 Responses to BP 6 – Alexis Xinol Morales

1. Derek does not form an emotional attachment to Jax.
    2. The final sentence of your second paragraph is just thrust in there. It does not follow from the previous sentences.
    3. I don’t understand the final sentence of the third paragraph.Again, it feels forced.
    4. The final paragraph seems overly simplistic, missing all kinds of nuance.
  1. I agree with your statement in the closing sentence from the last paragraph. I think with responsibility, AI can be developed into an extraordinary thing that will be useful to everyone.

2. AM definitely has something close to sentience? If you were to make a guess, what would have been the turning point in it’s hatred towards humanity? Would it be immediate upon gaining sentience or later on down the line?

3. Evyatar says:

Science-Fiction isn’t the only place where science unchecked, can be devastating. Like the introduction of foreign species to a land, destroying an ecosystem. Or splitting an atom becoming a devastating bomb, which was originally envisioned as a power source.