BP POST 1 Naheed Reyhad

The first essay, “What is Science Fiction” by Ursula Le Guin, explores a benchmark per se; a guideline on how most science fiction stories and novels are. This allows exploring the chance that writers give themselves on what rules to bend. When reading the essay, Le Guin said most science fiction stories are metaphors. Generally speaking science fiction authors create their world and shape reality to their will. The science fiction genre can directly focus on how creative the author will be. However, she also mentions that the author, maybe the reader as well, must apply themselves to their creative nature, not as a trendsetter. This will help my framework cause my consensus is that don’t take everything at face value, and try explaining yourself how to interweave certain plot points of a story to make sense.

In the second essay, “In American SF and the Other” Ursula Le Guin, says science fiction has always had a revolving criticism around elitism, inequalities, and how many characters are led by superiority. To point out one of the arguments, Le Guin mentions on the third page of her essay, when you deviate from a certain relationship, you’ll just be confused and devolve yourself. This to me provides not a standoff but more of a thought process of where characters should lead themselves rather than stereotypes given to them before. This helps my framework because I’ll be able to learn about the qualities of characters and how to showcase those qualities effectively albeit easier said than done.

3 Responses to BP POST 1 Naheed Reyhad

1. I think your first interpretation of how writers should give themselves malleable rules that are able to be bent is a great way to look at the article. I wonder where else in other fields that the practice of bending one’s own rules would come in handy. Is it merely a possibility in creative fields, or could other workplaces benefit from having elasticity?

2. JoshuaC says:

I like how you made it easy for us to understand how these will help you with your framework.

3. Good work a solid narrative that avoids cliches is all what certain science fiction books might need to stand out.