Prof. Miller| ENG 1101 - OL62 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity 5

Education is a process of learning, and properly growing your knowledge not only are you increasing your intelligence but you’re increasing your learning skills. School gave me a lot of knowledge that I needed but outside of school is where I really learned how to muniverate and grow. My grandmother is my biggest role model. She taught me the skills I would need to know in an everyday life situation, not only did my grandmother teach me how to carry myself but she taught me responsibility.

My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2012 this affected my education horribly but, seeing her trying to read and write more to keep her brain functioning impacted me positively. Throughout her first stages of Alzheimer’s me and my grandmother would read, take walks, garden, and write. My grandmother taught me how to write cursive which later on assisted me with writing my signature. Reading with my grandmother was way different then reading in school not only because it was a different type of genre but because, when I would read with my grandmother I was more focused and interested. In a way my intelligence increased because of my grandmother helping her at the age of 10 helped me explore new words, styles, skills…etc. 

When me and my grandmother gardened in her backyard I would have to keep track of how often I would have to water her plants because my grandmother would forget. When I was 11 and 12 I would take my grandmother on walks so she could remember her surroundings and remember where she lived. Sometimes I would bring her with me to pick up my baby cousin  from school because, right across the street from his school was the church my grandmother would take me before she caught dementia. Doing all of these things increased my creativity skills, discovery skills, responsibility and most importantly my intelligence. 

1. Prof. Suzanne Miller

Hi Alex,

This is very powerful material for your essay. And, yes, this is a great example of an education narrative that does not revolve around a school building. Your classroom was the garden. You and your grandmother alternated roles as student & teacher depending on the activity. Beautiful!

Now, as you create the rough draft, fill in the picture with more details… where did all of this take place (in NYC ? Somewhere else?) Describe the gardens– flowers? fruits? vegetables? Describe the weather as you walked around the garden with your grandmother.

Also, give some details about her writing & reading activities– how old were you when she was teaching you cursive & do you remember how you felt as you learned this somewhat old-fashioned way of writing?

You have a wonderful start here… keep going with details– and remember to include all five senses if possible (the smell of the garden, the sounds of the streets as you walked around, etc.)

• Alex

Thank you so much Professor, I was so confused but your reply really helped.

• Prof. Suzanne Miller

Oh, good! And now hopefully my comments on your rough draft will help as you revise!