Prof. Miller| ENG 1101 - OL62 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 5: Discussion Brainstorm

I believe education is very essential for everyone’s life. In my country people believe education is key to success. Every person’s needs to be educated. Because education gives us power, confidence and encourages us to move on with our life. It makes us independent and solves our every difficulties. Education gives us success and money. Education is a way that we succeed in our dreams and earn money. In my case, education is very important because it gives me freedom and works everything in my way. I have a dream and I have to fulfill my dream. Education helps me to fulfill my dream. Without education, I believe I can’t fulfill my dream because education gives us knowledge. If we are not educated, then we don’t know about anything, no knowledge and also depends on others. Sometimes they face unemployment problems and people’s ignorance. 2 years ago I was facing people’s ignorance because I took a break for 1 year for my study for some personal reasons. But people were behaving like I am nothing and have nothing to do and they were very busy and didn’t spend any time with me. They ignored me so badly. And now I started my education again and those people want to connect with me. Overall, I learn lots of things in this way and I realized education helps me to do things independently and gives happiness in my life. (15 minutes)

1. Prof. Suzanne Miller

Hi Sabah,

We spoke about this very interesting moment in which people were looking down on you for “taking a break” from your education. I advised that you really dig into this moment. Describe exactly what you mean by “being ignored.” Did people not return your texts? Not speak to you? If they did speak to you what did they say– and how did this differ from how they spoke to you when you were in school?

Also– did the way others were treating you have an impact on your self-esteem? In other words, did you start to lose faith in yourself the way the people around you were seeming to do?

As always, if you need to talk more about the draft, set up a Zoom meeting with me or come to office hours (if you are avail) on Wednesday between 2 & 4pm.