Prof. Miller| ENG 1101 - OL62 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 2: Responding to Bunn

Reading and writing are very important skills for English Language. I usually don’t like to read because I felt bored and sleepy. As a reader I don’t like to read  big passages, books, and essays. I only like small passages, some interesting things like articles, romantic stories, funny and comedy stories. But I believe reading is very important for us because reading is a way to get more knowledge about learning anything. Reading gives us so much information and we can use it in our writings. As a writer I think I am much better than a reader. I also don’t like to write essays, paragraphs and research papers because it takes so much time. Also we have to maintain everything about verbs, sentence structures, punctuation and so many things correctly. But sometimes I like to write personal stories about others like biographies and fiction or imaginary stories. Reading is like my enemy because sometimes I don’t know the meanings of  some words. In my writing my main challenging part is I don’t know high vocabulary words that’s why I always use simple and easy words. Also when I read and write I don’t use my phone and other things because it distracts me, but sometimes I check it for spellings and synonyms. About 2 hours I was reading and writing without looking and thinking about phones and other things. I always choose a quiet place and give more time to read and write anything without thinking and looking at other stuff. In my opinion, reading and writing are necessary for our life.

One sort of specific moment I for the most part found useful definitely is what techniques particularly are used in author’s writings, which basically is fairly significant. If we literally know those techniques, then we easily definitely read what kind of happened and what will kind of happen in the articles in a particularly big way. On page 72, line 17-20 states, “The idea is to carefully examine the things you read, looking at the writing techniques in the text in order to decide if you might want to adopt similar (or the same) techniques in your writing” It demonstrates that when we actually were basically read first of all we for all intents and purposes have deeply focus on ideas what author’s used and what techniques definitely were actually apply in their writing, sort of contrary to popular belief. The pretty literary elements and techniques mostly are very important for writing, so if we specifically read carefully and we essentially found it in the author”s writings, generally contrary to popular belief. In this way we generally explain and definitely include fairly more details in our writing, showing how in this way we for the most part explain and essentially include definitely more details in our writing, which kind of is fairly significant. In this article on page 71, the author Bunn includes some for all intents and purposes personal information to definitely begin his story in a generally big way. He always reads carefully and collects ideas for writing, showing how in this way we explain and definitely include pretty much more details in our writing, showing how in this way we actually explain and for the most part include definitely more details in our writing, definitely contrary to popular belief. He actually thought he basically read as a writer like we basically looked for some ideas, techniques and words which really were used by the author, demonstrating how the particularly literary elements and techniques basically are very important for writing, so if we generally read carefully and we essentially found it in the author’s writings.

Questions:

What are some techniques the author used in his articles? Do those techniques indicate the same things that the author is supposed to explain?

What is the purpose of this article? Is it useful for reading and writing?

In the article “Reader as artist”, Morison believes that reading is of two types. One is reading skills and the other is art. In her opinion reading skill is used for educational and academic purposes like communication and sometimes people have to be forced to take this skill for different purposes. People didn’t enjoy taking as reading skills they just thought they needed this. But as art, reading is someone’s passion. They love to write anything and feel peace in their mind. It helps to develop their thinking. When they are writing, they deeply focus on it and add so many details, ideas and techniques that express their feelings. In this article, Morison said, “My own reading skills were enhanced in schools, but my pleasure in, my passion for the art of reading came long before.” It demonstrates that reading skill and reading as an art are not the same thing. Skill is like we need this and have to do this for any other purpose. But art is peacefulness which gives happiness.

1. Prof. Suzanne Miller

Sabah,

Dedicating two hours to reading & writing (without distraction) is excellent. We will try to come up with strategies in this class to help you so that reading doesn’t seem to be, as you say, an “enemy.”
    I’m glad you recognize how important reading is in school & in life!

You clearly read both the Bunn article and the Morrison piece carefully– we will continue to refer to these articles over the course of the semester as we explore the art of reading (and writing!).