Prof. Miller| ENG 1101 - OL62 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 2: Responding to Bunn

As a reader I categorize myself as a person indulges more in reading mystery books, or books more based around setting an atmosphere for a main character. The challenge I face when reading is not only my phone now, considering how attached I’ve become to it, but rather the fact that I have so many tings in mind, what to do, the noises around me, etc. My writing habits are to give context to what I’m writing about using historical facts and then connecting it to what I’m writing about. I can be without my phone for an hour and 32 minutes, if I put in effort.

“Depending on the subject matter and the intended audience, it may make sense to be more or less formal in terms of language. As you begin reading, you can ask yourself whether the word choice and tone/ language of the writing seem appropriate.” Mike Bunn, writing this gives me a good idea as to what I have to take into perspective, due to the fact that many different types of writing can determine weather or not a person understands what I’m writing, even if it’s short, the words sometimes cannot be so simple.

He begins his article in page 71 a little backstory to when he was in college, or more likely a college graduate. Then he goes on to say what job he worked, little by little the idea of the introduction page is to show how to read like writer, since Bunn himself wrote ” I came to realize that all writing consists of a series of choice”. The questions in mind could be how does  the writer describe his own literature ? How does the reader understand the work being put together. Another question Bunn places is” What is it about the way this text is written that makes you feel and respond the way you do?”

Now when I went to read about Morrison, that was a whole other story entirely, reading being considered more as a skill than an art is very interesting to me. The concept is take into perspective that reading is something that must be practiced on, not just seen as something else to have as “art” per say. Reading as an art changes the meaning of the activity by giving an idea that reading isn’t just something like a hobby or something that is necessary to do from time to time, but rather known as something of higher thought and skill that can sometimes open a reading to a new perspective. To give a clearer idea of that, Morrison says ” Which is to say, I can read it again and again, step into its world confident that my attentiveness will always yield wonder.”

1. Prof. Suzanne Miller

Kevin,

Reading without thinking about your phone for an hour and a half is great. Keep up the good work!

Wonderful reflections on both the Bunn piece and Morrison essay. I appreciate the quotes you chose, and I can tell that you connected them to your own experiences as a reader and writer.