Prof. Miller| ENG 1101 - OL62 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 2: Responding to Bunn

When I was younger I used to read quite a few books. I loved mystery and adventure books. It always intrigued me as a little kid to read what the main character would do. I have always wanted to read the Harry Potter books but never got the chance. My favorite book I have ever read was the outsiders. That i can truly say was the best book that I have read. Although it was a book that I had to read in school, I was glad that I took the time and did. I usually have to reread a page due to the fact that I zone out but with that book i didn’t. Every page was something new and interesting. I did the essay reading challenge and I say I lasted about reading 7 pages then zoned out. What gets me zoned out is the way authors write and sometimes I just find it boring. But with this essay it was a real story and felt like the author was communicating with me which had me a little more engaged.

One specific moment that I would like to try as a reader and is useful is understand somethings that I find confusing and understand the transitions. On page 80 of the article, it states “It’s pretty normal to get confused in places while reading, especially while reading for class, so it can be helpful to look closely at the writing to try and get a sense of exactly what tripped you up. This way you can learn to avoid those same problems in your own writing” It is important to understand what the author is writing so you can see where the author is coming from which can help you in your writing as stated. When you begin to understand the author and you start writing your own, you cane make it in a way that other people won’t be confused about it either. This is where avoiding the problem comes in when you don’t do the same thing as the author to make your own reader confused. The questions that Bunn states that we should be think about in the essay are simplified as

-What is the authors purpose?

-“Who is the intended audience?”

-Is the language that the author uses effective?

-What evidence is being provided to support their claims and is it effective?

-Is there anything to be confused about?

-If there is a technique that the author uses, what is it and is it effective?

-If you was to do it, what are the benefits and drawbacks of using it?

When she describes reading as a “skill” you are reading is just words. You are reading it as what school showed you to do. When you read it as an “art”, schools can’t teach you that. It comes from your passion to read. If you have a passion for it, then you can appreciate it in so much more ways than just reading it for an objective. When you read as just a “skill” it is just reading the words that are there and minor things that the author shows. With the “art” aspect of reading you can find deep meanings that the average reader can’t seem to pinpoint. Like every skill people do, some are better than the other. Others may take it more serious. Such as, everyone can draw something. But not everyone can have that passion, that drive, that motivation to be an artist. Same thing as reading. Everyone can read words and say the main idea. But not everyone can say the author’s purpose or the hidden message that the author has in the article. When Morrison classified the activity of reading as an “art” it became more than just an activity. It became a hobby. It became someones passion. It can also becomes someone job. Like my example that I gave earlier is support by this quote by Morrison. ” My own reading skills were enhanced in schools, but my pleasure in, my passion for the art of reading came long before. It came in childhood and it began with listening.”

1. Prof. Suzanne Miller

Devindra,

This is such a rich and thoughtful response! Nice work.

When you are working on the later stages of a piece of writing– think about this idea of engaging the reader, so they won’t, as you put it, “zone out.” I say think about this in the “later stages” of your writing, because initially you just want to get your ideas down on the paper– even if it’s messy and disorganized and repetitive, it’s important to get those ideas DOWN. Then, in revising and editing, you think about how to make sure your ideas are coming across clearly and that the word choice and structure is compelling enough to maintain the reader’s attention. πŸ™‚

PS– I haven’t read the Harry Potter books either (yet)!