Big Ideas Welcome Here

Reading and Reflection Assignment #1_Brianna

I only read one kind of dairy like story is the Diary of a wimpy kid. Reading it again brings back memories. I have the books from “Rodrick Rules” to “Cabin Fever”. I lost the first book and I stopped at Cabin Fever because I grew tired of the series. I don’t remember why. I definitely remember that the first and second books got movie adaptations. So, imagine my excitement to read this story again after it got lost in childhood memories.

I like what I read so far. The way it’s formatted makes it easy to digest the context. If I see a huge amount of text, I would freak out and feel anxious by just looking at pages of brick walls of text. The world felt like it had history as the main character, Greg wrote about his experience of previous events. Such as picking the right seat compared from his previous year and school norms among the rest of the students like the Cheese. It really pulls off the believability of a diary. When characters are introduced to the story the author doesn’t bring light to the first appearance. It’s written like any other day. As I read more of the story, I learned that Greg is a bit of a troublemaker. He is not as bad as his older brother, Rodrick but he still gets in trouble with his parents enough to learn the form of punishments his parents usually give. But at least he still receives consequences. It brings balance to what Greg does at home. But in some settings in and outside of school, Greg act’s inconsiderate to other characters.

This didn’t inspire my diary while I wrote it. The story is fun to read but that’s not my life. Everything is slow past right now and my schedule is still busy with class work. I try to put personality into my writing but it’s not at the same level as this book. Overall, I like it’s perspective inside of a fictional boy head.

1. Sarah Schmerler

Such great insight, Brianna. I really like the way you think about this analytically. I really like how you see the story as easy to digest — which is what it was meant to be. Me, personally? I get bored easily. By lots of things. But not by books.
    I wish lots of words didn’t seem like bricks in a wall. When I write, I actually do think of paragraphs as bricks, or as pieces of wood that I’m hewing. The way I get around being put off by lots of writing is by reading backwards — back to front — or just a snippet from the middle. Then, if I like what I see, I go back or forwards. I see a book more like a scroll or a spiral than too much text.
    Anne Frank’s diary is amazing.
    Anyway, yes, you did a great job with this. Your diary can be any way you want.
    Let’s Zoom conference this week and discuss. Is that good for you? Maybe tomorrow with a couple other people?
    -Prof. S.