Avaricious

This is passage is from Quicksand

“He hoped, he sincerely hoped, that they wouldn’t become avaricious and grasping, thinking only of adding to their earthly goods, for that would be a sin in the sight of Almighty God. And then he had spoken of contentment embellishing his words with scriptural quotations and pointing out to them that it was their duty to be satisfied in the estate to which they had been called  hewers of  wood and drawers of water. “(6)

Avaracious – adjective

Avaracious- Greedy of gain: excessively acquisitive especially in seeking to hoard riches.

Http:// www.merriam-webster.com

My understanding of this passage is that he wanted to stay focused on righteousness. He wanted to remain Holy and stay within the word of God. The ways if the world are greed and his aspirations were that he would not be taken over by seeking to hoard earthly riches, but to inherit those riches In heaven. His message was that they shall all be grateful for what hey have been blessed with.

2 thoughts on “Avaricious

1. Shatoya, this passage is from Quicksand. Could you edit your post to include that information so your classmates know the context for the passage? Also, in your citation, you write (1-6), but that passage couldn’t have filled six pages. Which page is it on? I would prefer you use the version in our anthology. If you’re using the online version, please indicate that.

In the passage, who is speaking, and who is he cautioning about avaricious behavior? It seems like you’re saying he’s trying to avoid it himself, but that’s not the case. Look back to see what he’s really saying–it’s disturbing, and I want you to understand why Helga is so outraged by his comments that she would want to quit her job at Naxos.

2. Unfortunately because I was sent volume 1 by accident, I am rearing Quicksand from the PDF version that you posted for us. You are correct, I did not add where I got the passage from. I have edited my post, and I hope correctly this time.

In this passage a white preacher came in the chapel to speak to the African American students, which populated that school. He was being every bit of racist , I feel and speaking as if they would not understand his sarcasm. Giving them a compliment and an ultimatum in the same breath. In my opinion it was sort of insulting to Helga to listen to this because she fully comprehended what was being said. He meant that though, the African Americans had come a long way, they should just accept the where they were now as a privilege and not become avaricious in expecting or wanting more freedom or even respect for that matter. I think that Helga wanted to leave her job teaching in Naxos because of the prejudice.