What will Helga turn out to be?

Reading the beginning of Quicksand by Nella Larsen left me really interested In the book. I feel that as the main character,  Helga’s character was developing all throughout the story. From the beginning its seems like there is a fighting force that Helga Crane is battling with. Naxo’s ,where she  lives and teaches at that time just seemed to be a place that she felt she didn’t belong. I feel that because of the constant  rebelliousness and differentiating herself from the other characters in the story that Helga’s character was constantly developing. The mere fact that in narration she was unique assisted in the evolution of Helga’s character.

“Helga’s essentially likeable and charming personality was smudged out. She had felt this for a long time. Now she faced with determination that other truth, which she had refused to formulate in her thoughts, the fact that she was utterly unfitted for teaching, even for mere existence in Naxos. She was a failure here. She had, she conceded now, been silly, obstinate , to persist for so long. A failure. Therefore, no need, no use to stay longer. Suddenly she longed for immediate departure.”(12)

This passage  from chapter one of Quicksand is already helping me to understand how Helga’s character is being shaped. It is apparent that at one point Helga was a sweeter person than she is growing to be in Naxos. Somehow Naxos was tainting her opinion of her belonging and acceptance there. I feel that at this early point In the story Helga was already developing a sense of self, different from the person who had originally came. I began to think that Helga’s thoughts of her purpose was even beginning to change. Somewhere where she thought would be of longevity had been turning out to be temporary, and her quest was far from over but just beginning. If her  career in teaching  was all of a sudden wrong , her thoughts about her environment were changing, and she felt that she had come  to Naxos and did not accomplish what was set out , but was already prepared to depart , then it is clear to me that Helga’s character would be developing into something different, maybe greater.

2 thoughts on “What will Helga turn out to be?

1. I agree that we can see a sense of self from this early on. We also watch how it just keeps growing and growing as the novel progresses. For example when she just packed things up and moved to Chicago looking for work and a home but she fails to find this here to. But I was trying to put myself in Helga’s shoes when I read that she was going to be leaving Naxos. I agree with her, would you be able to teach for a school where you don’t believe what they teach morally? I know I wouldn’t So I see where she came from. She is clearly a women trying to figure out where her home is, and I am excited to keep reading and see where it is.

2. (Late comment)

I agree with you because I felt that Helga’s character developed throughout the story too. She continues to grow throughout the story. I don’t really think that Helga felt comfortable with where she was in Naxos either. I mean how could you feel comfortable being in a place where you are constantly judged. Its funny because I thought that Helga might have been sweeter at the beginning because she was more naive, but I wasn’t sure. I also agree with the fact that the person that Helga was when she first arrived at Naxos is not the same person that she is throughout the rest of the novel. Its pretty sad because Helga was looking for a place where she could belong throughout the story, but she realizes that this place is not Naxos.