Introducing Myself

My name is Nathalie Severino and I am a Communication Design major. I am 20 years old and my family is from the Dominican Republic. I am aspiring to get my Bachelor degree, however, I am thinking of transferring to a different school this year. After I graduated high school, I actually had a tough time trying to figure out what career I wanted to get into. Up until the end of senior year in high school, I was convinced that I would become a lawyer. It wasn’t until my father saw me hunched over a design trying to make it perfect for two hours that I realized what I was doing. He helped me by pointing out what I was actually passionate about.

I currently live with my sister in the Bronx, but I visit my parents and younger brother in New Jersey often. I am originally from New York, but I had been living there since the fourth grade up until I graduated high school. Until recently, I had been working as a data entry clerk at a union for asbestos handlers called Local 78. It was a monotonous job, to say the least.

One of my favorite things to do is watching movies with my boyfriend, who is also my best friend. I also like video games, fashion, all kinds of music, playing sports, drawing, anime, and eating. One of the main reasons I am taking this class is because I also love literature, and women have written some incredible works throughout history, so this class was my first choice.

1 thought on “Introducing Myself

1. Welcome, Nathalie! It’s great when you have an experience that helps you see clearly what you love to do and how it can lead to a career. We can talk more about transferring colleges, etc, if you’re interested. I wonder what about law appealed to you, and if you see that playing into the direction you’ll want to take communication design. Many of your classmates have already expressed interest in visual arts, so I’ll be sure to include more visual texts like I did for our first class session. In terms of your interest in literature, do you have any favorites? Any authors to recommend to me and your classmates? It was good to meet you in person and now online, and I look forward to getting to know you better this semester.