Prof. Rosen | ENG 1121-D435 | Spring 2023

Agenda: Week 14

train car with graffiti that reads "magic"
Immagine 092” by en- ri, mutant and proud via Flickr CC BY-NC 2.0

Week 14: Reflections, Revisions & Portfolios

Class Info

• Dates: Thursday, May 11, 2023-Wednesday, May 17, 2023
  • Meeting Info: Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:00-11:15am in room N618
  • Important: If you have a computer or tablet, please consider bringing it to class this week!

Objectives

• To draft the final reflection
  • To make a plan for revising any previous work (Projects 1, 2, 3)
  • To finish Project 3, both the creation and the artist’s statement
  • To complete any unfinished work
  • TO MAKE MAGIC HAPPEN!!!

For Thursday, 5/11

Reading

• Review your writing from throughout the semester

Writing

• Freewrite in response to the brainstorming questions to begin thinking through your final reflections

In Class

• Drafting the Final Reflection
  • To revise or not to revise?
  • Conferencing

For Tuesdsay, 5/16

Reading

• Continue to review your writing from throughout the semester
  • Re-read the feedback you got on your writing, from me or from the Writing Center or other supporters.

Writing

• Continue to draft your final reflection
  • Continue revising any previous projects, or finish any unfinished projects

In Class

• Drafting the Final Reflection
  • Group feedback
  • Conferencing

1. IanS

English comp 2

Artist Statement – Ian Simpson 

Everyday media presents news and information that can significantly affect how people perceive and respond to events, individuals, and ideas. My Multimodal text revolves around the theme of media control. Between project 2: “media power” and my multimodal project, I aim to shed light on the powerful influence exerted by media channels and the manipulation of information in shaping our perceptions, beliefs, and actions. Media has always played a crucial role in shaping public opinion, so the thought that most social media or news outlets are biased is concerning. 

Through Multimodal text I got a better understanding of media control and power, we need more people challenging the dominant narratives propagated by mainstream media. Let us expose the manipulative tactics employed, and empower viewers, particularly college students, to critically engage with and navigate the complex media landscape. 

Project 3: Multimodal Composing serves as a reflection, inviting viewers to reconsider their relationship with the media and question the status. I aim to expose how information is controlled, distorted, and manipulated for ulterior motives. My work should challenge the audience to critically evaluate the messages they encounter and to seek alternative perspectives. I encourage viewers to question the underlying power dynamics at play in our media-driven society. 

I chose to include random students around my college because everyone can have an experience and I wanted to hear from people just like me. In my interview, you hear both the pros/cons of media and the impact of media on families and friends. College campuses are hotspots for critical thinking, making the ideal spaces to engage with the themes of media to control and power. The majority of students listen to people they can relate to, I made this a skit mixed with interviewing fellow students for the visual impact. Videos offer the opportunity to create visually engaging content. Also, a video as a multimodal text offers a rich and immersive experience that combines visuals, audio, storytelling, and emotional connection. 

College students are the next generation of leaders and critical thinkers, playing a vital role in shaping the future of society. By setting the awareness of media manipulation, it encourages critical evaluation of information and promotes independent thinking. In this project my goal was to reach college students directly, creating opportunities for dialogue and reflection within their own academic and social environments. I hope in the following months after releasing my Project 3 on youtube and other digital platforms people engage and speak their truth in the following months after releasing my Project 3 on youtube and other digital platforms.  

On May 10th,  2023, I was the first to present my Multimodal text. In our English the students are usually shy so they try to say as little as possible. However, while watching my project I saw the glare in their eyes, everyone there was engaged and participating. My peers gave great feedback on how I could improve and it informed them a lot, a couple of students didn’t realize the impact of media in their everyday life. I can tell that it’s common with most students so it’s great to give a helping hand. My main goal was to inform others about the control/power of the media and it was achieved. 

To conclude, by creating my project 3 I aspire to foster a more informed, engaged, and empowered society. Everyone’s voice matters and the media impacts people differently. By exposing the mechanisms of media control and power, I hope to inspire my peers and other students no matter the grade. In a world where the lines between truth and fiction are increasingly blurred, it is crucial to cultivate a discerning and vigilant mindset. By shedding light on media control and power.