Categories
Portfolio & Reflection

Final Portfolio and Reflection

Revision of Unit One-Education

For revision for this essay, I added a couple more sentence, made some grammar and punctuation correction.  The feedback for this assignment was good, it was not required to implement any major change to the essay

Most people will say the education journey began on the first day of preschool.   The introduction to alphabets, numbers, and colors will start our education journey in preschool.   It becomes an ongoing journey that continues daily from childhood to adulthood.    In my opinion, education is an essential tool required for success.   From experience, what I encounter in middles school, and examples from professional athletes to activists, helps me cultivate my opinion that education is an essential tool.

My first year of attending middle school.  I had one goal that year of making the basketball team.  I  practice all summer to make it on the school basketball team.  I made the basketball team, and top it off, I had a starting position on the team.   During the school years, my grades started to slip a bit.  I was putting my studies to the side and focus on playing basketball.  However, to maintain a position on the team, you had to pass all your assigned classes.  The Coach advises me to improve my grades or risk not being part of the basketball team. I concluded the coach could not cut me; I was one of the best players he had on the team.  As the school year progressed, my class grades did not improve.   Our first big game of the season was approaching.  I was so excited and about playing my first game in front of family and friends.  Two days before the big game,   I was cut from the team and could not participate in any school sports, pending my grades.  I was devastated about this decision.   All my hard work and training for nothing, all because I did not take my classes and education seriously.  What about my talent and skills? Should that play a factor in this decision?

When I got home and explained to my mother the cruel and vicious thing the coach did and how she had to do something about it.  My mother asks why you remove from the team.  I took a deep breath and explained my grades has slipped since I join the basketball team.   My mother looks at me and recites once again, “I told you to be successful in life, you need education. “You must Learn.”   I stood there in total shock at her not taking my side in this matter.  My mother and father had a long talk about the status of my grades.  What I got the most out of the conversation my father kept saying, “You must learn” no matter how good I was in basketball, it will never trump your education. ”   This event was my first lesson about education and the importance.  No matter how good I thought I was in basketball, everyone was more concerned about getting good grades and completing my education.  The event impacted my perspective on education.  I realized education was an essential tool needed to accomplish my goals if I had passed my grades, the opportunity to play basketball.

After the mishap in middle school, if I had any doubt about education and its importance, some of my favorite professional basketball players became an excellent example that education is essential.  These basketballs player, at one point, ended their college education early and started their careers in the NBA.  After joining the NBA and making millions of dollars, they still felt the need to continue their education.  One person, we can look at Michael Jordan. To most people, he is considered the greatest of all time in basketball. However, Mr. Jordan went back to college to continue his education.  Mr. Jordan obtains his bachelor’s degree in geography.  He never forgot the importance of education.   Another athlete did the same thing; however, he did it in the middle of his career. His name is Shaquille O’ Neal.     Between winning basketball championships, O’ Neal went back to college and earned a doctorate degree in education.   Upon receiving his degree, O’ Neal stated, ” This is for my mother, who always stressed the importance of education.”    I have name people that net worth is in the millions, that did not feel utterly successful until they completed college.  Education became an essential tool for success for them.   I find Jordan and O’ Neal’s decision to go back to college inspiring.  The two basketball players display that education is essential and has influenced me to continue my education journey.  I wonder why when most people speak about their careers, they rarely mention their college degrees.  I think it should be mentioned more and use as a tool to encourage people to continue their education journey.  Jordan and O’ Neals’s ambition to finish college motivated me to continue striving with my education.

What also keeps me motivated is knowing the struggle my ancestor went through for me to have an education.  History has shown  African American education was deprive of schooling.    During the 1800s, my ancestors were slaves and did not have the right to obtain an education.   I stated that in the beginning, preschool starts the journey; during the  1800s, there were no preschools.  My ancestors had to fight to obtain the right to an education.   Their struggle made a path for African Americans to start an educational journey.    Their fight to have education has produced great Africa American leaders.   W.E.B. DuBois, a sociologist and civil rights activist, to Malcolm X, a Muslim minister and human rights activist to  Martin Luther King, a Baptist minister and civil rights activist,  and Maya Angelou, a poet, memoirist, and civil right activist. I only name a few that use their level of education to become successful with uplifting and educating people.

Education is an essential tool for success.  The inspirational stories of  Michel Jordan, Shaquille O’ O’Neal, W.E.B DuBois, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, and Maya Angelou all use education as a  tool for their success.     As I start this new educational journey of college, the lesson I encounter in middle school will be my foundation.  The people I listed will be the inspiration and navigation to complete this journey to obtain a higher education level to contribute to my success.

In conclusion I hope my educational journey inspired the next generation, and that generation inspired the next and so on, so on.

Revision of Unit Two-Annotated Bibliography

The feedback for this assignment was very good, there was no recommendation on correction.  I am completed satisfied with this body of work.

What are the contributing factors that generates homelessness in the United States?

In the past few years, I worked in a city shelter that provides services for the homeless population. I have noticed each year; the numbers of homelessness increase around New York City.  Homelessness is not just, and New York City issues this misfortune of homelessness affects many States. Most people have the perception homelessness is not a significant issue; however, it is an ongoing problem across America.    Thousands of people are without proper shelter, living on the streets, parks, subways, or other public spaces. Each year, thousands of people are forced to go without proper shelter or a place to call home.  For example, New York has close to 80,000 men, women, and children classified as homeless.  Also, half of that number is chronic homelessness with becoming an ongoing problem.    How is this possible in today’s society? What are the surrounding factors that each year the homeless issue is not resolved?   Most Sates assist in providing help; for example, emergency shelters, transitional housing, rapid re-housing, and permanent supportive housing are services and benefits offered to help reduce homelessness.   Even though the aided the homeless population is provided, the numbers tend to increase each year.  I want to uncover what are some of the significant reason’s homelessness is a going issue.  It is more to the problem that a person is having financial hardship and fails to maintain proper shelter.   We must look out for other factors, such as poverty, social exclusion, mental illness, race, lack of funding for affordable housing, and contributing factors to the increase of the homeless population.

Marybeth Shinn : Homelessness Poverty and Social Exclusion in the United States and Europe. Distributed by European Journal of Homelessness Volume 4, December 2010

https://www.cctvcambridge.org/sites/default/files/article-1-2.pdf

The Article Homelessness Poverty and Social Exclusion by Marybeth, a professor at Vanderbilt University, she specializes in studies on how to prevent and end homelessness and develop opportunities for social exclusion groups.  The article focuses on lifetime homelessness in the U.S. and Europe.  The United States is one of the leading countries with chronic homelessness, income inequality, less generous social welfare policies.   Shinn states poverty and social exclusion are key causes of homelessness across the nation.   She also argues social exclusion is related to homelessness by influence the generosity of social welfare benefits.  Income, wealth, mental illness, poverty,  Incarceration, and race also play a part in homelessness.  Shinn’s research was developed by conducting a household survey from 1990 to 2006  to obtain data from different countries regarding the contributing factors.  From the data imputed in the chart on page 23, the United States was the leader in lifetime literal Homelessness and Imprisonment.  However, rank the lowest in Social benefits.   Shinn also points out most English-speaking countries have greater income inequality and less generous social programs than other developed nations.  This imbalance promotes Homelessness in the United States. Shinn stated, “Low rates of family benefits in the U.S. are associated with high rates of family homelessness.” Page 26 points out how the  United States housing policy promotes inequality. For example, Homeownership is encouraged by tax deductions for mortgage income and property taxes, and these tax breaks are geared towards wealthier individuals. The housing subsidies for poor renters come from a direct budget with no incentives.  In addition, page 26 reflected the article points out how the rise in homelessness in the United States corresponded to the rising gap in housing affordability, with the loss of affordable units.  This is a common issue in New York City. Across several U.S. data sets, homelessness was higher when rental costs were higher relative to incomes and when vacancy rates for inexpensive housing were lower.   This creates a significant imbalance in housing opportunities for low-income Americans.    Other key factors Shinn’s refer to are poverty, social exclusion; race; discrimination, mental illness, and policy.  For each item, Shinn proved a data chart and credible reference to support her argument.  Her data was not just limited to the United States; it presents a global overview of homelessness.

Shinn’s articles provide insight into the homelessness problem in different countries. Her article was not a matter of opinion but base on research, surveys, and data.  What made her a reliable source for information and her dedication to studies on preventing and ending homelessness. In my opinion, the article was very informative and provided charts and statistics to validate Shinn’s argument.

National Alliance to End homelessness a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization committed to preventing and ending homelessness in the United States.

State of Homelessness

The National Alliance is a United States-based organization addressing the issue of homelessness. They provide data and research to policymakers and elected officials to inform policy debates and educate the public and opinion leaders nationwide.  Interestingly, the Author Marybeth Shinn has identified policy as one of the contributing factors in the rise of homelessness in her article from European Journal Volume four.  However, National Alliance listed five key points that cause homelessness housing, income, health, domestic violence, and racial inequality.  The organization stated, “the main reason people become homeless is that they cannot find housing, they cannot find housing they can afford.” Based on the data obtained in 2019, a count was conducted by gender, and it reveals the following information 343,197 males, 219,911 females, 3,255 transgender, and 1,362 gender non-conforming were classified as homeless. The numbers total  567,725 people experience some form of Homelessness in the United States.

From the five points that were listed, heath was a severe factor.   The article stated, “health and homelessness are inextricably linked.  Health problems can cause a person’s homelessness as well as be exacerbated by the experience.”  The article also points out that the underlining such as diabetes, heart disease, and HIV/Aids are the highest among the homeless population.  At times it is six times higher than that of the general population.   Another health concern is mental illness and substance abuse, and the data obtained by this organization show more than ten percent of the people who require substance abuse or mental health treatment from our public health system are homeless.   Another issue the numbers of the homeless population abusing prescription drugs and heroin are incredibly high.  The rate of overdose deaths has tripled since 2000.

Regarding this data, the shelter I work at the experience this last week.  We had a resident allegedly overdose on heroin; after staff administered Narcan nasal spay and performed CPR, the staff could revive the resident.  Overall, substance abuse is an ongoing problem with the homeless population.

The website Nation Alliance to End Homelessness is very informative.  It provided insight into some of the causes of homelessness.  The site provided statistics, policy, data, and graphics to overview the cause and solution for homelessness.  The organization has over thirty years of working and providing research regarding homelessness.  The website provides excellent insight and guidance about homelessness.

Why 2 Million People in the U.S. are Homeless in 377 Seconds (YouTube Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFG_izJ6Kjo

The last source in research on the cause of homelessness is from You Tube channel title Thought of Money.  This You Tube advertises to get to the bottom of issues from politics, technology, science, philosophy, and many other issues.  The episode “Why 2 Million People in the U.S. are Homeless in 377 Seconds” focuses on mental illness as contributing factor to the rise in homelessness.  In the percentage of homeless people, 25% has mental illness, 38% alcohol abuse, 26% has substance abuse, some experience all three, and the rest with is 11% lost their job or was pushed out of their home.   The National Coalition provided this data for The Homeless.  Besides New York City with the largest population of homelessness, the episode points out that the Los Angeles homelessness population has superseded the New City population of homelessness in recent years.  One reason for this is Los Angeles has a warmer climate, and this generated more people sleeping on the streets.   The highlight point in this episode is the lack of treatment for mental illness, and the cut of funding for treatment has pushed many mentally ill people to the street for refuge.  For example, many families struggle with dealing with a mentally ill love one.  They lack the knowledge, resources to provide adequate care or funding.  This force most family to push a mentally ill family member to the streets.  The reason for this is sometimes done out of fear or concern for family safety.   Another contributing factor since 1970 federal support for housing and metal service has been cut.   In recent months, it has been a rise in assaults committed by the homeless population diagnosed with a mental illness.

Overall, Thought Monkey did not provide detail on how it obtains it data.   The information provided is helpful despite the lack of creditable references.  The article was geared to target the general public to give some insight into mental illness and its impact on homelessness. Despite the title of this article, “Why 2 Million People in the U.S. are Homeless,” the narrate focus only on the 25% (mental illness).

In conclusion, from my research from the three-reference mental illness has been identified as a crucial factor with homelessness.   This article did shed light on how most American families deal with mental illness when it comes to a family member.   Most family tends to turn their back;  on the family member struggling with mental illness, this is not done intentionally but more of an act of desperation.   The lack of knowledge and minimum funding leaves most families with tough decisions to push the mentally ill person out of the house, adding to the homeless population.

The conclusion in my research of what is the contributing factor that generates homelessness in the United States?  It was shocking that many different elements surround homelessness.  To start with, income, race, inequality, social welfare policies, health, substance abuse, and affordable housing are just a few surrounding factors contributing to homelessness.  When I think about homelessness, I view it as an isolated problem that did not affect many people.  On the contrary, this is a global problem with tends to grow each year. What was also astonishing   Government funding playing a huge part in the rise of homelessness and the solution to resolving homelessness. When the government implements policy and funding for affordable and supportive housing, it reduces the homeless population.  However, if funding is cut or reduce, a spike in homelessness begins to develop.   As we enter our second year of COVID-19 the current pandemic has because people have lost their jobs many companies went out of business this has impacted most Americans and infuse homelessness.   On top of all the other factors that cause homelessness, the homelessness numbers can double or triple within the next two years when this is added into the equation.      I think the homelessness problem is essential because if we do not address the current issues that cause homelessness, the new issue can create a much bigger problem for our country.

For my target audience, I will narrow it down to two groups.  The group will be our politicians and lawmakers. Considering the growing issue with homelessness, how can we generate more funded and assistance to resolve this problem?  The lack of affordable housing and supportive living can reduce homelessness in great numbers.  The next group will be a Social Service worker that deals with the homeless firsthand.  Social Service direct connection and clinical skills will be crucial in engaging and providing the service needed for the homeless.

Unit Three-Artist Statement

Developing my topic question was a challenge; I ponder different ideas. For example, I thought about the current situation at the border in Texas regarding families trying to enter the United States for refuge.  Undoubtedly, that would have been an interesting topic; however, we have thousands of people living in the United States who need shelter.  We classified them as homeless, but how did they get to this point.  Just think about it we have thousands of people trying to enter the United States for refuge and a better life; also, thousands of people living in the United States seek the same thing.  Another way to look at it, living in New York City, you may cross a homeless person on the train, park, or the store. Has it ever crossed your mind how did this person end up homeless?  It formulated the question: What are the contributing factors that generate homelessness in the United States?  In addition, I worked in a city shelter that provides services for the homeless population. I have noticed each year; the numbers of homelessness increase around New York City.  Homelessness is not just, and New York City issues this misfortune of homelessness affects many States.  This assignment presented the opportunity to explore some of the contributing factors to the cause of homelessness.   Most people will narrow homelessness down to job loss, wrong career decisions, or substance abuse.  Homelessness goes much deeper my research presented a variety of issues to the cause of homelessness.

My research proved an abundance of information; most was gear around opinions and an inclusive statement about the growing issue of homelessness.   The first article I selected was Homelessness, Poverty, and Social Exclusion by Marybeth, a professor at Vanderbilt University.  What is unique about this article it provides homelessness on a global scale.  The article proved homelessness data from different countries and displayed the United States as one of the highest homelessness rates.  I also obtain information from a Non-Profit agency specializing in collecting data to solve homelessness in the United States.  My last resource of data is the YouTube page that gets data and implemented some solutions for homelessness.

I intend to target young adults ages twenty-one to thirty-five. I feel there is a lack of awareness of the homelessness issue taking place in the United States.  My research also uncovers that this age bracket (21 to 35) is the highest homelessness rate.   Each year the homeless numbers continue to rise. Homelessness is affecting many young adults as they transition to full adulthood hood.  My research uncovers policies and the lack of funding from our federal Government are contributing factors towards homelessness.   My object is to enlighten and encourage people to get involve with resolving the ongoing issues with homelessness. The age bracket is the new frontier to implement change.  The best method to reach this age bracket is utilizing a PodCast.  Data supports young adults’ gravitas towards social media, verse the traditional newspaper or magazine for information.

Selecting a PodCast as the best method to reach my target audience starts with a song that tends to catch many people’s attention.   The song is an old song; however, the message is solid and transparent.  The title of the song is “Wake Up Everybody” by Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes.   When the music comes up on the lyrics ” There is so much hatred, war, and poverty,”  the open dialogue will tackle my first two topics, poverty, and social exclusion.  Funding will is the last item and will lead into the closing song by Aloe Blacc title “I need a dollar.”  The reason I selected this song is to encourage people to donate to charities to help the homeless.  For example, National Alliance to End Homelessness, Urbanpathways, and Breaking Ground are all non-profit organization that depends on donation to assist with the fight against homelessness. If we all donate a little, no one will have to contribute a lot to generate more funding for homelessness.

In conclusion, doing the Pod Cast was kind of awkward.   The most complex challenge was trying to organize the data and present it in a convincing matter.  Overall, I think it came out good.  If I could couple of things is to have a cohost to take some of the pressure.  It was more of a challenge sitting alone in front of a lab top talking to myself and not getting a reaction from my intended audience.  Ultimately, I believe my presentation of the data is convincing.

The Final Reflection

As this semester is coming to an end, reflecting on the English course, 1101 brings various thoughts to mind that assisted with this learning experience.   Written an essay is not a robust skillset.  In addition,  the course was fully remote was another challenge to overcome.   What broke the ice to settle into the course was our first assignment, which required us to describe how we feel this semester.   In the INTRO post, the statement “I’m a freshman at City Tech and nervous about this semester.” After posting it and seeing classmates post, their concerns added comfort to see the feeling were reciprocated among classmates, and people felt uneasy this semester.

After getting over the anxiety,  our first couple of assignments cultivated a different reading and written pattern.   The article from Mike Bunn, “How to Read Like a Writer,” changed my approach to reading an article, book email, or text.   My reading style primely focused on the text’s central idea and built from there in the past.  Bunn points out more come into play when reading like a writer.  In consuming an article, the following items come to the forefront. The first is what choices the author has made to influence or convince the audience.  The second is who is the target audience, and the third is in what genre the author is writing.  Applying these questions helps understand the text better and gives good guidance with written essays.  In adopting Bunn’s strategies in the post from the written assignment, “How to read like a writer, ” I look for the keyword,” this method shows the direction the writer is trying to go in.  The keywords are like a road map to the author’s argument or point.  Identify the keywords helps determine if to take the same path with the essay or go a different route.

The next assignment personally boosted overall confidence in writing.  The title was a little stunning; however, the context had significant meaning and convention. The article by  Anne Lamott, “Shitty First Draft,”  needless to say, the title points out Lamott has a potty month; however, she has genuine intention and making us better writers.  Lamott points out our first draft does not have to be perfect work of art. In the post from the assignment, I stated, “I would put a lot of time and effort into developing the first draft.”  My approach is different now; whatever comes to mind regarding the written assignment goes down on paper; this process helps develop a starting point and assist with the direction I want to go in.   The reason I identify with these two assignments because it helps develop the essay for unit one.

Our first major assignment, unit one-education narrative, was one of the best assignments.  The assignment allowed me to write about something that I was an expert on and have excellent knowledge about myself. Lol, no, seriously, the purpose of the assignment was to give us the chance to write about our educational journey.  Thinking about the education journey, what are some inspirations, and some of the high light on this journey, and the most crucial question, why to continue this educational journey.    Many aspects came to mind about the education journey. This assignment generated a complex challenge. Many ideas flooded my mind; however, I was faced with selecting the proper format and genre for this assignment.  Anne Lamott’s concept kicks in.  I had a shitty first draft, a shitty second draft; when I was done, I had about four shitty drafts of a body of work.  After narrowing it down and I selected and posted it on Open Lab.  My Peer Partner provide feedback stating it was a good start; however, she advises me to provide more details on how the education journey impacted “and/or helped me today.”  The comment provided insight into what was missing from the essay.  The Professor posted a comment about pizza.  It sounds crazy. Nevertheless, the comments push me in the right direction.  The comment was how he loves pizza, but not just any pizza. He details what type of pizza he likes and specifies the reason.  To sum it up, he was displaying how to 1. Come up with an Intro, 2. Have a topic, and 3. Develop a thesis. After receiving the feedback and implementing it into the essay help create a good body of work.

With written an essay about the educational journey, the thesis statement was, “In my opinion, education is an important tool needed for success.” The statement also reflects this first college English course. In the written previous essay, letters, emails, the primary purpose was to get to the main ideas.  This course has enlightened on genre and target audience, implement keywords.   The first assignment indicated, “I’m a freshman at City Tech and nervous about this semester.” As this semester comes to an end, that statement has now change into feeling strong and confident to continue this education journey.   At this point, written assignments are not as complex a task. The tools and guidance provided during this course have helped with becoming a better writer.    The concept and genre of the written type play a crucial part in the written format.   Adding all the techniques presented in this essay has contributed to enhancing the skill set with writing.   It is implemented when written essay, it also utilizes on the job when responding and sending out e-mails.  This course was a step in the right direction for better written skills.