Nichalos Creary Coffeehouse #1

This story was told in a first person POV and where he speaks about his life growing up. The first thing I noticed when reading “Where I Learned To Read” by Scibona was that he was rebellious to start with. He felt like there shouldn’t be rules and limit him and he should be able to do what he wants. He failed his classes and burned his report card on purpose. He believed he was a lost cause so he didn’t do anything school related. As I read more through the story I realized he didn’t like strings attached because he states  “as long as nobody assigned the book he could stick with it”. Problem with this was that he didn’t know how to read cause he would always drop out his class and not take responsibility for his education. All that changed when he heard about college. He wanted to get into St. John college and ask them to let him in, there he learned to read and “married it”. He did all types of things he never seen himself doing before, he made new friends, now loved reading. He was almost addicted where he felt he couldn’t survive without reading, his body needed it. I felt he wasn’t obeying school rules in the beginning and being rebellious and doing what he wants, but he found a passion for reading and chased it. This is a little similar to “Superman and Me” where Alexie loved reading to begin with and was a good kid. On the other hand Scibona was rebellious then learned what literature can do for you so in the end both pieces of writing ends up with both authors love reading.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Great post Nichalos. Keep up the clarity and the details.

-Prof. Scanlan