Our City Tech OpenLab Home

Coffeehouse #1

The article “When I learned to read” by Salvatore Scibona which is published in The New Yorker, June 13&20,2011. He talks about how difficult school was for him. He would do thinks like purposely failing his classes and burning his report cards at his job at KFC. He loved his job as much as the way dog loves a carcass in ditch”. His job was more important than his school to him.

Back-yard rehab” is something Salvatore do where he would go to his backyard and read books such as Donald trump autobiography and leaves of grass and more, and he would actually enjoy reading books in his free time. Even though he enjoyed reading it in his backyard it was for him to actually read them where he was assigned them at school.

His intellectual home was found at St. John’s college. A college where he was able to fit in and meet new people, make mew friends in  which he had so much fun. H wasn’t forced to read there was no textbooks or quizzes or tests. Even though his parents could t afford it he made it his mission to get there and be able to go somewhere where he felt comfortable .

1. morris chera

Hi Raleek i really liked what you wrote about Salvatore Scibona. I liked how you explained the story of Scibona and his troubles with his life. I agree with you that Scibona intellectual home was St. John’s college. Scibona was happy that he was in the college and he felt like he could learn at this place. The way you explained that Scibona liked this college and he met other people was good. I also liked how you said that it was Scibona mission to get in to St. John’s college even though his parents couldn’t afford it. We could also learn from Scibona that nothing should hold you back.
    From Morris Chera

2. nathaniel bailey

I like how you used the metaphor in the story in order to lead the reader to the conclusion that at that moment before college his job was more important to him than school

3. nathaniel bailey

I like how you used the metaphor in the story in order to lead the reader to the conclusion that at that moment before college his job was more important to him than school. Then you go on to show the reader a different side of the character, a side of him that loves reading. This helps the story flow when the main character’s point of view changes about school when he is given the pamphlet to a school that involves mostly reading. This greatly paraphrases the story because most of the main points are showed and put in your own words in detail.

Nathaniel,

4. Professor Sean Scanlan

Raleek,
    This is a fine first post. Be sure to use grammar and spell check. At St. Johns, Scibona did not have a choice of what to read–which is contrary to what he earlier wanted. This means he changed a lot.
    -Prof. Scanlan