Our City Tech OpenLab Home

Aliyah’s Coffeehouse Post #1

Intellectual Home

In the article “Where I learned to read” by Salvatore Scibona published in New York, on June 13 & 20, 2011. Scibona started off by telling us how hard school was for him and how he was failing all his classes. He worked at kfc so he could make money and save for the future, while he was working at kfc he burned his report card in the sink where he worked scraping carbonized grease from the pressure cooker. One thing he wanted was to get out of Ohio. 

He says  his house is very crowded and how the tv was always blasting. And he had no peace at home. Salvatore did not like to read, he spent his nights in the derelict shed “swinging his eyes over the pages of library books”. He didn’t really know how to read but it made him happy. 

In college he met a girl that gave him a brochure, “ the college curriculum was outrageous”. 

This was the moment his life changed, St. John’s college was his dream college”no grades, no electives, not a single book, no textbooks”. He finally found his dream school and would do anything to pursue it. 

His dream finally came true, he started to learn how to read French, he started solving math equations. He was getting a different aspect of life. This was something he dreamed about and he finally overcame his loneliness. 

In conclusion, Salvatore’s life was a bumpy ride, he went from not having a quiet place to read and write to finding a place where he loved. His past was very harsh. He was a “sad little boy” until he went off to college where he found his intellectual home a place he could actually call home. A place he was comfortable in. “ Every year since has been more intense and enigmatic joy” he found a place he called home. 

1. Zarrina

Hi Aliyah!
    I really liked your essay about Scibona’s Intellectual Home. I liked the way you use in your essay quotations and you conveyed authors points of view and main idea of the article. You detailed each paragraph excellent and conveyed the logic of the article in and smooth way. However, I would recommend you to use more conjunctive adverbs in order to make your essay look more complete.
    – Sincerely, Zarrina U.

2. Zarrina

Hi Aliyah!
    I really liked your essay about Scibona’s Intellectual Home. I liked the way you use in your essay quotations and you conveyed authors points of view and main idea of the article. You detailed each paragraph excellent and conveyed the logic of the article in and smooth way.However, i would recommend you to use more conjunctive adverbs in order to make your essay look more complete.
    – Sincerely, Zarrina U.

3. Rachael Cosbert

I really liked the quotes you used from the essay. You analyzed the essay really well from the beginning of Scibona’s story to the end. The first paragraph was a great summary and you captured Scibona’s intellectual home with a lot of detail and expression.

4. Professor Sean Scanlan

Aliyah,
    Thanks for this first post. Your conclusion was great–it really captured his Intellectual Home and his transformation.
    -Prof. Scanlan