Abraham, Martin, Katrin Auspurg, and Thomas Hinz. 2010. “Migration Decisions within Dual-Earner Partnerships Report • By Elise GouldJessica Schieder, and Kathleen Geier • October 20, 2016 https://www.epi.org/publication/what-is-the-gender-pay-gap-and-is-it-real/

In this body of work the three authors of this piece come together and break down the issue of gender inequality in the workforce. They start off their piece by saying how much more men make than women, A typical, or median, woman working full time is paid 80 cents for every dollar a typical man working full time is paid. When evaluated by wages per hour, “a typical woman is paid 83 cents for every dollar a man is paid. Both of these measures are correct, but examining women’s earnings per hour is our preferred way of looking at the wage gap”. In other words this is saying that for every dollar a man makes is equal to 83 cents per female. Furthermore, They then dig deeper into the issue by stating, “Asian and white women at the median actually experience the biggest gaps relative to Asian and white men, respectively. But that is due, in part, to the fact that Asian and white men make much more than black or Hispanic men. Relative to white non-Hispanic men, black and Hispanic women workers are paid only 65 cents and 58 cents on the dollar, respectively, compared with 81 cents for white, non-Hispanic women workers and 90 cents for Asian women.” And to break that down it states that, The asian women and white women are affected the most by the wage gap. They then go into benefits. They state, “The gender pay gap in cash wages would not disappear by factoring in other employee benefits because women are less likely than men to have employer-provided health insurance and have fewer retirement resources than men.” To shorten this they are stating that men are likely to get better benefits from their jobs rather than women. Lastly, They also include graphs that state, “Women earn less than men at every wage level” and the graph does indeed show that women are paid less than women.

After reading this article, I can say I believe the article raises interesting questions and concerns about the effect of the pay gap on women in the workforce. In my opinion I agree with the claims that was stated by the authors. I say this because the claims by the authors are all backed up with logical statements and graphs. Also, It was written by multiple people which brings different personalities and ideas to the table that makes this a strong piece or work.

I believe that the authors chose this topic to write about because this has been a problem for a while now so they just wants to make a change in the workforce. Also, to have equal pay for equal work and to bridge the gap between genders in not just in the real world but also in the workforce most importantly.

A key quote I chose was, “The gender wage gap is a problem for women at every wage level. At each and every point in the wage distribution, men significantly out-earn women, although by different amounts, to be sure (Figures B and C).In 2015, the gap between men’s and women’s hourly wages was smallest among the lowest-earning workers, with 10th percentile women earning 92.0 percent of men’s wages. The minimum wage is partially responsible for this greater equality among the lowest earners. It sets a wage floor that applies to everyone, which means that people near the bottom of the distribution are likely to make more equal wages, even though those wages are very low (Figure D).” I chose this quote because it states exactly the issue is and also goes in depth talking about hourly rates and lower earning workers that work at minimum wage.

“Women in the Workforce: The Gender Pay Gap Is Greater for Certain Racial and Ethnic Groups and Varies by Education Level” GAO-23-106041 Published: Dec 15, 2022. Publicly Released: Dec 15, 2022. https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-23-106041

In 2021, the representation of women in management positions remained significantly lower than their presence in the overall workforce, with women constituting 44% of the total workforce but only 41% of managers. This imbalance indicates a persistent underrepresentation of women in leadership roles, which can have far-reaching implications for gender equality in the workplace.Furthermore, the gender pay gap continued to be a concerning issue, as women earned approximately 82 cents for every dollar earned by men. This wage disparity was even more pronounced for specific groups, with Hispanic or Latina women earning only 58 cents and Black women earning 63 cents for every dollar earned by White men. These disparities reflect the intersectionality of gender and race, highlighting the compounded challenges faced by minority women in the workplace.The extent of the gender pay gap also depended on the level of education. The gap was most substantial for women with less than a high school diploma or equivalent, underscoring the importance of educational attainment in addressing wage disparities. On the other hand, the gap was narrowest for women with a bachelor’s degree, indicating that higher education can play a significant role in mitigating gender pay inequality. These findings underscore the need for continued efforts to promote gender equity and inclusion in the workforce, particularly for marginalized groups who face the most substantial disparities. Also, In 2021, women in the U.S. were underrepresented in management roles, comprising 41% of managers while making up 44% of the overall workforce. The gender pay gap stood at 18 cents, with women earning 82 cents for every dollar men earned. Female managers faced a greater pay gap, earning 77 cents for every dollar earned by their male counterparts. The pay gap varied by industry, with self-employed women in their own incorporated businesses earning 69 cents on the dollar, women in for-profit companies earning 78 cents, and those in government or non-profits earning 85 cents. Additionally, the pay gap was more pronounced for minority women, with Hispanic or Latina women earning 58 cents, Black or African American women earning 63 cents, and White women earning 79 cents for every dollar earned by White men. The pay gap also depended on the level of education, with women with less than a high school diploma earning 66 cents on the dollar and those with a bachelor’s degree earning 70 cents.

Once reading this article, I am able to say that I believe it provides some intriguing problems and questions on how the wage gap affects women in the workforce. In my view, I agree with the statements made by the writer. I say this due to the authors’ claims are all supported by rational arguments.

I believe that the authors chose this topic to write about because this has been a problem for a long time now. So, they just want to make a change in the workforce. Once reading this article, I am able to say that I believe it provides some interesting problems and questions on how the wage gap affects women in the workforce. In my view, I agree with the statements made by the writer. I say this due to the authors’ claims are all supported by rational arguments. Also, to have equal pay for equal work and to bridge the gap between genders in not just in the real world but also in the workforce most importantly.

A key quote that I found interesting was, “Compared to the overall pay gap, the gender pay gap was greater for full-time female managers, who earned an estimated 77 cents for every dollar earned by full-time male managers (a pay gap of 23 cents on the dollar).” I say this is my key quote because it says what the issue is and how even managers that are effected by this.