1–Citation: Weizenbaum, Joseph. Introduction. Computer Power and Human Reason: From Judgment to Calculation. W. H. Freeman and Company, 1976, pg. 1-16.

2–Summary: In the introduction to his book, Weizenbaum writes about his own accounts and thoughts on the implications of artificial intelligence. He first gives background on himself and the topic of computers, then shares what shocked him about the public reception of his ELIZA program. Weizenbaum reveals that the psychotherapist role that ELIZA took was never meant to be taken seriously, lamenting over how the work has been misinterpreted. When he discovered how some psychiatrists believed that the software could replace the authentic profession, how some users developed emotional attachment, and how people believed it demonstrated understanding of language, he was in disbelief. Weizenbaum confesses his concerns for the future of humanity and its relationship with computers, rejecting the idea that computers will ever have uniquely human qualities. He states that, although people will become more dependent on machines, there are things that only humans should do. He proclaims that human judgment and emotion must be preserved, and cannot be replaced by the cold calculations of software.

3–Reflection: I believe that Weizenbaum’s writing, while a bit complex, was very interesting to read. The introduction was a very thoughtful gateway into the philosophical discussions of the impact that computers have. The text made me ruminate on the role of technology in the world and its scale. It is frightening to see how well his words hold up in the context of modern society, where there seems to be a great amount of dehumanization in the presence of algorithms and automation.

4–Rhetorical Analysis: Joseph Weizenbaum is a German computer scientist who became a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1964. The purpose of the text is to give context to the talking point of computers and the implications of their increasing use, as well as urging the reader to be cautious of putting too much faith in artificial intelligence. The intended audience of this text contains computer scientists, students, and anyone else who could be curious about the topic. The genre of the text could be described as a non-fiction philosophical exploration. Through his words, Weizenbaum shows a bias against heavy integration of software. I believe the author is credible because he has an established career in this technology, therefore having first-hand experience with it.

5–Purpose Analysis: I believe that Joseph Weizenbaum chose this genre to write in because he fears the dehumanization of the social order. He wants to further the discussion and educate those who are unaware of the issue. I believe this was a good choice for the intended audience because the personal aspect allows the reader to connect with Weizenbaum in his worries.

6–Key Quote: “I would argue that, however intelligent machines may be made to be. There are some acts of thought that ought to be attempted only by humans.” (pg. 13)

I chose this quote because it highlights Weizenbaum’s main point, which is that no matter how smart machines are, or seem to be, they should be considered a replacement to human reasoning and emotion.