Coffeehouse #2 -Izabella Lopez

After reading all of these short stories I feel like I enjoyed “The Lottery” the most. I felt as though It was the most enjoyable because at first, you think It’s one thing when in the end It’s the complete opposite. There are so many things in the beginning that you think are sweet and cute but in the end, you find out the true horrifying reason that those things were done. In the beginning, I thought that It was going to be just a nice community lottery where maybe someone wins a prize or something. Everyone seemed so happy to be there the way they were interacting with their neighbors as if it was just another day. They even wanted to just speed things up so they can get back to their day. But in the end, you figure out that the lottery is just to see who in their town gets stoned to death. This story threw me through so many emotions from start to end. At the start, you feel happy and even calm at the descriptions of the day and how everyone is gathering in the town. But as the story comes closer to the end you start to realize that this is not what it seems. When Bill Hutchinson “wins” and his wife Tessie starts to argue that he wasn’t given enough time or it wasn’t fair this made me realize that this is not something good nor sweet. My emotions switched from happiness to confusion. I wonder if It’s not what I thought It was then what can it be? As I move on I finally get an answer to the question when they mention that pile of stones that the boys had made at the very beginning of the story and I now know that the was just a lottery to pick who gets stoned to death. This is when I feel sad and even horrified that a town that seemed so sweet could have a tradition so grim. This story throws you through so many twists and turns throughout and leaves you with so many questions as you’re reading and that’s why I liked It the best.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Thanks for your post. Good reflections on the surprise of oppositional outcomes.
    -Prof. Scanlan