coffeehouse #2 Coumba Diawara

After Reading all of the readings so far my most favorite text to read which was very interesting was “The Black Cat” by Edgar Allen Poe. I enjoyed reading this because as I was reading the author kept me engaged firstly by using a first person narrative, and secondly by making the narrators actions very blunt, it makes the reader want to know what takes place next. In the text the narrator explains that a black cat that was once his pet scratched him and in return he cut the cats eye out and hung the cat. From these details that the author provides throughout the text for some it might be too graphic but on the other hand for people like me who gets uninterested quickly when it comes to readings it immediately grabs my attention and makes me eager to want to continue to read. The story continues to tell us that the narrator found a black cat with a white mark and when he tried to kill it his wife stopped him and he went on to murder his wife. Poe makes it that the narrator is committing more crucial crimes now and as I mentioned grabs more attention from a reader. The narrator then went on to hide his wife’s body. This may bring a question to the readers mind on whether or not this man has ever murdered someone else, or did he feel guilt after killing his wife. So overall one of my favorite things from reading the text is the authors ability to continuously attract the reader to his story and not only that the reader is actively thinking throughout the read and in a way thinking ahead to what’s coming next.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Thanks for your post. Good reflections on a violent story.
    -Prof. Scanlan