Coffeehouse #2 – Soha Naseer

In my perspective, “A Story Told to Me by a Friend” by Lydia Davis really stood out to me. I found that story more touching than any other story I have read so far in this class. There are various reasons, one because that story can relate to real life. The story is built on so many emotions, happiness and sadness. There was a lot of expressing of feelings between the two people. People have long distance relationships or friendships, despite it being hard it’s built on heavy trust and you have to be emotionally strong for it to work out in the long run because anything can happen. In the story, you can just visual the whole scene that’s written in your mind. For example, when the friend goes to the airport and his internet friend isn’t there, you can almost feel what he’s going through and how he’s feeling when he calls the number that was given to him numerous times and then going to the address. It’s like he was having anxiety and panic attacks because he was just trying so hard to figure out why his internet friend didn’t make it to the airport when everything was planned.  This story comes with heartbreak towards the end. The author basically wrote this for the reader to realize anything can happen at any moment, there’s no age to death. So, take it as a lesson. If you like something or someone, take the risk and go with the flow because you only live once. It’s better to take chances and making more memories than to regret in the end when you lose it.  I really enjoyed this reading and hoping to read more of these types of novels in this class. It brings out the visualization. -Soha Naseer

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Thanks for your post. Good reflections and fine writing.
    -Prof. Scanlan