Professor Poirier | D760 | Spring 2024

OpenLab assignment: time machine

Due Wednesday, May 22

Congratulations on making it to the end of the semester! Do you feel like a different person from who you were at the beginning of the semester??? You’re so much more knowledgeable and mature!

For this assignment, pretend you could get into a time machine and visit yourself from January. What do you know now that you wish you knew then? Write a letter to deliver to your past self explaining how this semester went for you and how you figured out what it takes to succeed in this class. Include any tips you have for your past self and anything you wish you had done differently semester this semester. How would you motivate your past self to work hard for their upcoming 17 weeks? What do you want your past self to know about where you are now?

Submit your letter as a comment on this post. Your letters may be used for future students of this class!

You may submit your comment any time you like, but if you submit it by 11:59pm on Wednesday, May 22, you will earn one more participation point.

1. Liz Brandwein

To Past Me,

Linear algebra is not as scary as you think it is, despite what everyone has told you. Stay on top of your homework, even if that means finally getting medicated for your ADHD after months of doctor’s appointments.

Focus on working in vector components; it will help a lot in your other classes. Also, get comfortable handling matrices, because you will panic and blank on many a test otherwise.

Try to have fun! This class can be really enjoyable if you stay on top of everything.

Love,

End of Semester Liz

2. Tsz Yan, Lam

Linear algebra is very fun! It’s a super useful tool that will make a lot of the problems easier. It has tons of applications, like machine learning or computer graphics.

Make sure to do your homework and practice the questions regularly. This will keep you on track and help you succeed!

Enjoy the process and know that you’ll become more knowledgeable and confident by the end of the semester.

3. Joseph Valentin

Hey you! I’m you but from the future. I’m here to help you out. Linear Algebra is very scary but I need you to listen for I don’t have much time nor the words to help you out. Alright, so I got Exam 1 that you’re gonna get in the future, here are the answers and how to get them. You better master RREF and all these other concepts. This semester was rough for me so I’ll make sure it’s not as rough for you. Oh no, I’m running out of time. Just always do your homework before the next week. You have more time than you think, just dedicate a time slot to it each week, and you can definitely do that. The teacher will not extend the time for anything, not even Webwork! (Sometimes you gotta lie to yourself to apply more pressure so they can get things done). Ok, I gotta go, take care!

4. Gurpreet

hey me! Stay consistent by reviewing notes after each class and keeping up with assignments. Focus on understanding concepts instead of just memorizing them. Practice regularly by solving as many problems as you can, especially challenging ones. Don’t hesitate to ask questions in class or during office hours. Keep your notes and materials well-organized for easy review. Balance your studies with rest, nutrition, and exercise. Form a study group early, and remember it’s okay to make mistakes.

5. Hussain

Study for all the tests, and there will be material in the tests that will not be on the review questions/material learned in class. Always go to google for extra learning in this class.

This class may seem easy at first, but moves to different materials very fast so do your best to keep up, you got this!!

6. Roza Amanzhol

Not just study the textbook as you do for your other math classes, but watch youtube demonstration videos as linear algebra requires imagination. Learn how to visualize given problems and see it in space. Before jumping to webwork before the deadline, try to deeply and completely understand the chapter. When it comes to study do not let things going on in your personal life get in the way because this class moves fast and it requires consistency. Eventually you will grow to love this class, because you love math and linear algebra is the basis of the field you are so interested in.