Professor Kate Poirier | D046 | Fall 2023

MAT 1275 X MAT 2680 Collab

Due Monday, November 20

MAT 1275 students’ instructions

MAT 1275 students, the instructions here are not for you! Do not comment on this post! See the post with your instructions over on the MAT 2680 site here.

MAT 2680 students’ instructions

MAT 2680 students, welcome to the MAT 1275 site! Some of you probably took MAT 1275 at CityTech but for those of you who didn’t: MAT 1275 is CityTech’s College Algebra and Trigonometry course. The students in this class have just finished learning techniques for solving quadratic, rational, and radical equations in one variable and they’re about to learn about graphing linear and quadratic equations in two variables.

So the MAT 1275 students are like past versions of you! They’re a few semesters behind where you are in their math journeys. What advice do you have for them to help them succeed?

• Maybe you’d like to tell them what skills or material you think is most important from MAT 1275 or any of the other math classes you took before MAT 2680?
  • Maybe you’d like to tell them what you wish they’d learned better from MAT 1275 any of the other math classes you took before MAT 2680?
  • Maybe you’d just like to tell them how you have succeeded in your math classes?
  • Maybe you’d like to tell them something more personal like what your major is, what you like about differential equations, what you liked about Algebra and Trigonometry, or what other math classes you have to take?

Your instructions for this assignment are simple: in the comments below, give the MAT 1275 students some unsolicited advice.

Since you have not commented in this group before, your comments will not appear right away. They have to be approved by the administrator first, but the administrator is me and I’ll approve any advice as long as itis not too inappropriate. Anyone who offers any advice will earn participation credit.

1. Wellington Verduga

I began my CET major in Citytech behind in Math proficiency. I had to start all the way from MAT1175. At that time, I was working full time and studying full time, taking my math class at the early time of 8am on a Saturday. It was a rough and I was clearly struggling as I took 18 credits that semester. I eventually dropped a class which reduced my workload. Nonetheless, it set the pace for how I performed in Math.

I have underperformed severely in my math classes and it has come to weight me down. I used to think I won’t see too much of it but I was wrong. Trigonometry identities will be used in Integration and the quadratic formula will be used in multiple methods to find solutions for differential equations. Even factorization comes into play as correctly factoring out something can set up equations to keep advancing or properly derivate a term. Those are some of the few examples that apply strictly just in Math. This applies to physics and other areas like circuit analysis in CET.

Pay attention and keep what you learn close. I have had to re learn basic concepts and it is not fun.

2. Tamika

To all MAT 1275 students and those who are struggling early in your college year, my journey began at QCC which I am currently studying to be a Computer Engineer at City Tech. Honestly, my first year at college was good, being able to study to get my associate degree was easy for me since I already know a lot about technology. Until I came to City Tech things started to change and some subjects especially Math was tougher. Math was easier for me until I had to take Calculus 2, which is when I began to ask for help. My advice to you is stay strong no matter what happens in the present or future; just study as much as you can especially topics you do not understand. Keep in mind that technology today is advancing, and we have numerous of sources to help us understand any subject. One of those resources is YouTube. YouTube have helped me tremendously when I need to understand topics, I was struggling in. Now I am able to understand them more than before.

• Tyrone

Hi Tamika! My name is Tyrone.Thank you for your advice. I found it to be helpful because im currently struggling in math 1275 right now and i feel like a hit a walk here. But i did end up reaching out and now i have a couple of friends helping me out, but I hope this is enough for me to pass lol.

• Muhammad

Hi Tamika! My name is Mohammad .Thank you for your advice. I understand what you’re saying about dealing with MAT 1275. It’s nice to hear about your journey and how you had trouble with Math too. I like that you talked about staying strong, studying hard, and using resources like YouTube to help with tough topics. I’m going to try these things when I’m dealing with hard ideas. Your experience reminds me that if we keep trying and use the resources we have, we can get better at tough subjects. Thanks for sharing, and I’m going to keep working hard with determination.

• Emmanuel

Hi Tamika! my name is Emmanuel! Thank you for your advice. I found it to be helpful because I feel like the math is going to get a lot more difficult. I understand the reasoning for your journey and why studying/using resources are so important. In the future I will keep your advice in mind.

• Pavlo Havryshko

Hi Tamika! My name is Pavlo. Thank you for your advise. I found it helpful because I agree with you how Youtube can help you become better at math and sometimes when I struggle with my webwork I go on Youtube and it really helps. In future I will keep in mind that right now we have alot of resources that can help me to do better in class also the resources can help you to study for the exams

• Kkhen4

Hi Tamika! My name is Kobe. I found this helpful especially because I am struggling with some subjects and I think never giving up is essential to succeeding in these classes. I do from time to time use YouTube as an outside source in case I ever am taught a method I can’t understand. I will definitely follow your advice and continue to use outside sources when needed.

3. Shaolong Ma

Take it easy! My first math class in college was calculus 2, which is harder than the class that you are taking. Never drop class, and the best way is to listen to your professor and write down all the notes on the board. If you don’t understand them in class that’s fine, that is what happen to me all the time. Just give yourself some time to unstand your notes after schoool and do your homerwork to check your understanding. 

4. Emily Murphy

My best piece of advice is to be kind to yourself! When I first started taking college-level math classes back when I got my first bachelor’s degree, I would get so frustrated if I didn’t get a concept or problem the first couple of times I tried it. I’d immediately go, “Oh my god, I’m so bad at this, I’m so bad at math.” Coming back to school almost ten years later, I’ve found that making mistakes and taking time to sit with a concept is how you learn! That being said, you’ve got to make sure that you give yourself more than enough time and patience to do all your homework sets and ask questions if something doesn’t make sense. And utilize online or CUNY resources! I swear by Khan Academy, especially when brushing up on topics from algebra, precalculus, etc.

One other big piece of advice I have is to figure out how you learn. I’m very visual, so I’ll color-code everything and draw stuff out when possible, but everyone’s different. Knowing how I understand different concepts has been the single best thing I’ve done for myself, even outside of math, so I highly recommend it.

5. Erick Hidalgo

Hello 1275 Students, so my advice would be is to remember your quadratic formulas from 1275 because it will come back to you as you keep going up in your math journey in this school. You will see yourself and your professor telling you that new topics you learn in your new math classes can involve some Algebra. Trigonometry will show up as well. I highly recommend staying on top of your webwork. Webwork will help you on your future quizzes and exams. I’m guilty of sometimes not doing webwork but when I complete them it has helped me on my exams because you can see some similarities, but I can’t promise it will be similar all the time ha-ha.

Don’t stress yourself out! If you guys need help, always ask the professor or go to tutoring. Also asking classmates for help is beneficial. Notes are important as well because they can benefit you while doing homework, taking quizzes and exams. Hopefully this helps you guys in your math journey!

• ali choudhary

Hi Erick ! my name is Ali and thank you for your advice .I found it to be helpful because i am struggling with math 1275 but I agree on the part where you said stay on top of your work like the webwork . But I have been going here and there to my professor about to the work . I am hoping that from your advice I have learned that be on top of your things is must and i hope that i can pass this class for this semester .

6. Shawn Suraj

Hello 1275 students, I would like to advise you to ensure a solid understanding of fundamental concepts in algebra and trigonometry. Don’t hesitate to ask questions or seek help when you encounter difficulties. Whether it’s from your instructor, classmates, or online resources, clarifying things early on can prevent misunderstandings in the future. This was huge for me and it was keeping my notes, assignments, and study materials organized. This will make it easier to review and prepare for exams and lastly make sure to study a week prior to the exams plz! Good luck everyone!!

• Omar Abaza

Hi Shawn, My name is Omar. Thank you for your advice. I found it to be helpful because i struggle sometime with this course but i always ask my friend who already took this course. I agree with that we need to ensure a solid understanding of fundamental concepts in algebra because it will help us in future courses. In the future I will keep in mind that i should always ask for help when I’m struggling with something.

7. Ethan Lo

Hi folks! My advice is to understand that the math you are learning now will actually be relevant and important to your future if you continue in a math or computer science adjacent field. Algebra and trigonometry are important to have a strong foundation in, as they are used constantly in the more advanced courses.

Work through the problems yourself to see if you get the same answer, and if not, try to figure out why. But don’t spend too much time trying to figure it out – my CS professor once said that if you spent an hour trying to figure something out, just stop and come ask for help. This was very wise (even though I don’t always follow it), because at a certain point banging your head against a problem isn’t productive. Ask for help!

8. Qing Chen(Charlotte)

Dear MAT 1275 students,

Welcome to the exciting world of College Algebra and Trigonometry! I want to share some practical advice that helped me stay on track and succeed in my math journey.

Firstly, think of the skills you’re acquiring in MAT 1275 as tools for problem-solving in real life. Whether it’s calculating expenses, understanding data trends, or navigating spatial relationships, these skills have direct applications. Try to relate what you’re learning to everyday scenarios; it makes the material more engaging and memorable.

Mastering the techniques for solving quadratic, rational, and radical equations is like having a problem-solving Swiss army knife. These are not just abstract concepts; they’re tools you’ll use in various situations, from budgeting to understanding scientific data.

Graphing linear and quadratic equations in two variables is your visual roadmap. Think of it as creating a visual representation of real-world scenarios. It’s not just about the lines and curves on paper; it’s about understanding and interpreting the patterns they represent in the world around you.

Remember, success in math is not just about understanding the material but also about staying organized and managing your time effectively. Create a study schedule that works for you, seek help when needed, and don’t hesitate to explore online resources or form study groups.

On a personal note, my journey through Algebra and Trigonometry opened my eyes to the practical side of math. It’s not just about numbers on a page; it’s about solving problems you encounter every day.

Enjoy the learning process, stay curious, and know that each concept you grasp is a step towards a more empowered understanding of the world. Best of luck on your math adventure!

9. Joanna Q.

Hello 1275 Students, I started my first college math course in High school. But once I entered city tech and had to take Calc 2, it was very challenging for me. At first I was extremely upset with myself because I couldn’t comprehend the math problems and how it was being solved. But instead of being upset with myself I looked for help, I requested tutoring and asked more questions in class to understand better and that’s were I started understanding. My advice to you is don’t be hard on yourself, and I know it can be hard not to but trust me is not your fault, you just need extra help and that’s nothing wrong. Ask for tutoring, practice and give it your all. Trust me math is not just a course you taking in college is something you encounter on your everyday life, in school, work, home, everywhere. Wish you all nothing but the best.

• gelber

Hi Joanna Q! My name is Gelber G. Thank you for your advice, when I was reading your paragraph I found it interesting because I can identify myself in this curse not understanding at all sometime the topics, but with your advice and with the advice of the other students of math 2680, This could be helpfully to pass the class this semester and next semester knowing all of this can be a little more easy than this semester! Thank you Joanna! and Thank you math 2680 for all of your’s advise! Wish the best to all!!!

10. Allan Yunayev

Hello, MAT 1275 Students, I hope you all are doing well in your class one thing I wanted to tell you all is a guide to improving in any math course. One tip is always to do your assignments on time. Depending on the professor homework could be 0-25% of your grade and if it is 15-25%, your max grade could turn into 75-85. if you don’t do homework you would have to be perfect on exams to pass which doesn’t happen the majority of the time. homework is there to not only help you study but to save you when you don’t do well in other sections of the grading policy. the next tip is attending class even if it is not required because it helps you to learn the material and helps build a relationship with the professor. Coming to classes makes it easier for them to teach you to your capability

11. Jonathan Lee

Hey all MAT1275 students!

My name is Jonathan Lee, and I’ve been a student here at CityTech for a while now. I actually dropped out of college more than 10 years ago. When I came back to school, I had to take Calculus 2 (MAT1275) despite having very little memory of any math I had learned before. However, I knew that just meant I needed to go out of the way a bit to brush up on things. That’s where online resources kicked in. I made use of online textbooks and guides (videos, websites, etc.) to help refresh my memory and practice material. It might take a bit of extra effort, but if you’re willing to spend the time, I’d definitely recommend doing this. Also, don’t be discouraged if the work looks intimidating or if you aren’t too sure how to do a certain type of question. Like I said, using resources online can help when some topic isn’t clicking in your mind. Make sure to also bring up questions with your professor if you do need help! This goes for all classes too, not just math. Best of luck to all of you in your future classes!

12. Brandon Payne

Differential equations build heavily upon algebraic concepts. Make sure your algebraic skills are strong; understanding how to manipulate equations, factorize expressions, and solve equations will be incredibly beneficial. Differential equations are best learned by solving problems. Don’t just read through the material—actively engage with it by practicing different types of problems. Start with basic ones and gradually move to more complex ones. Instead of memorizing formulas, focus on understanding the underlying concepts. Knowing why certain methods work is often more important than rote memorization. Don’t hesitate to reach out for resources beyond your course materials. I would say that is my weakness but outside tutoring is always available even if it’s not through the school. Online tutorials, or even asking questions after class can help. Good luck and study early.

13. Angelica Tellez

Hi all in MAT 1275, I’m currently an Applied Math Major. My advice would be to practice as much as you can. Once you do a problem repetitively, you’ll see patterns and your brain will recognize how to solve it quicker. I know sometimes it’s easy to be afraid of the numbers/letters in front of you, but don’t worry. You got this. Just try your best!

14. Phoebe Narcisse

Hi MAT 1275 Students,

My best piece of advice for you now is to keep practicing and to be persistent. Even if you are not getting the grades you hope for, all you can do is put forth your best effort by going to office hours, asking for help from other students, and getting tutoring! Math can be a struggle so do not be too hard on yourself, your professor is here to help and I am sure you can find some helpful classmates as well!

Good luck!

15. Kunal Surujprasad

Hello to those in MAT 1275, I’m currently a Computer Engineering major on my last year. My advice for you is to really solidify your knowledge of algebra as it will be prevalent in all up coming classes. Most calculus equations will need algebra to simplify down to a final solution or to re-shape an equation to make it generally easier to solve. Also to pay attention to trig functions (sine, cos, tan and their inverses) as they will be making an unwelcomed guest appearance in calculus. For your upcoming finals (regardless of what class it maybe), make sure you have a good understanding of what topics will be on the final and in a case where it is not clear, ask/email the professor, most professors are delighted to help an enthusiastic student that is willing to learn(never be afraid to ask). To add on even more, for those who are going to take differential equations and linear algebra, there is no order in which you need to take these classes in but I’d recommend taking linear algebra first as some of the concepts/techniques (RREF) learnt there will make differential eq’n a tad bit easer.

16. Benjamin Tolbert

Hello, MAT 1275 Students! My major is computer engineering, and I always had trouble balancing knowledge between subjects during my time in college until I learned an easy way to manage things. Try to choose classes that you think will easily mesh into each other such as pre/co-requisite classes. For example, this semester I only took classes involving mainly math and coding, which helped bring knowledge of certain topics to both my math and coding classes. Few of my math classes were hard of course, but it’ll be much better in the long run to study for at least 4 hours every week to give yourself the ability to grasp concepts within class.