Professor Kate Poirier | D046 | Fall 2023

OpenLab assignment: 6-point problem solving for another course

Due Monday, November 13

The 6-point problem-solving framework that we have been using for HOT topics questions can be used to solve problems in other disciplines too. Using the framework for one of your science or engineering classes would not be that different from using it for your HOT topics questions, but the framework can be applied in your arts, english, history, or any other of your classes too!

For this assignment, choose a problem/question from any one of your other classes and solve it using the 6-point framework. Depending on the topic/question you choose, you may have to reinterpret any of the 6 points to make them fit better. You can either type your work directly into a post or you can link to a photo of your hand written work.

Your post must include:

1. The course code and name of the course.
  2. The full text of the problem/question.
  3. Your complete work for all 6 points, including your complete solution/answer in step 6.
  4. Your impression of how solving/answering the problem/question from your other course using the 6 points compared to solving HOT topics problems is.
    • Do you think the 6 points worked well for the particular topic you chose? Why or why not?
    • Did you have to reinterpret any of the 6 steps?
    • Would you recommend the 6-point framework to your classmates in that class even if they’re not using it in their math class? Why or why not?
    • Any other thoughts you have about using the problem-solving framework in other classes.
  5. Title: 6-point problem solving for [the discipline you’ve chosen]
  6. Category: 6-point other class

1. Allison

Arch 1112 (I don’t take Science or Engineering)

So a problem that I would say I have encounter would be completing my Project 2 Cube

Concepts: Design my own cube design

Questions: What do I want my cube to represent?

Observations: The cube has to be made up of 5 section cuts, where a person could walk all around with no difficulty

Strategies: Look at example and use it as in inspiration in order to get an idea of what I want my cube to look like.

Concepts: I would have to understand that the cube has to be accessible and have an appealing look

Conclusion: My cube would have an open look and it would be considered a maze that allows “people” to use a cube as a family distraction.

I would say it is a useful concept that it allowed me to understand the main idea that I wanted to present in my 3-D cube.

No I did not have to reinterpret any of the the 6 steps.

I would recommend this to my classmates, but depending in the class and how to interpret the 6 steps. For example in my case, I didn’t use the 6 steps for a math class but rather for a class that is about my major.

2. gelber

PHYS1433

A net force of 125 is applied to a certain object. As a result the object accelerates with an acceleration of 24.0 m/s^2. What is the mass of the object?

Context. the problem is about to find the mass of the object.

Observation. This problem has net force that is 125, has acceleration that is 24, and m/s^2 appear.

Question.

this problem has different forms to find the mass of the object?

The mass of the object should be represented in Kg or in g?

should I have to divide or multiply the to get the answer for mass?

Strategies. my strategy to find the mass of this object is divide the net force by the acceleration.

Concept. 125= Mx24

m=125/24=5.21g

Conclusion. the mass of the object is 5.21g.

I would say it is a useful concept that it allowed me to understand the main point of the problem to find the mass of the object.

No I did not have to reinterpret the 6 point in this problem.

I would recommend this to my classmates, because For me is more helpful understand the steep of the problem and get the answer for the problem.

3. Pavlo Havryshko

Pavlo Havryshko

ENG 1101

What were the key or seminal moments for you in Malcolm X’s education narrative? Did he change his ideology or think about what was important to know or learn about through his reading? Can you relate your own excitement, enthusiasm (or negatively, your dread) of working with a mentor or with learning a new subject to Malcolm X’s?  Throughout, try to give us concrete, specific examples from the readings or from your own life experiences. 

Context :What were the key or seminal moments for you in Malcolm X’s education narrative?

Observations: I see that you need to  read an article. I see that you need to know something about Malcolm X. I see that you need to give some examples.

Questions: What should I read? Where do I get information on the questions?  How do I know if something is important in the article?

Strategies: first read the article then you answer the questions.

Concept: You need to know how to read. You need to know if the information is correct in the article

Conclusion: One of the key moments in the Malcolm X reading is that first he went to the prison because of burglary. Another moment was that during prison he read many books about African American slavery where he became a different person after prison. The  change of  his ideology is after reading many books about African American slavery he changed his religion to  Islam because many people that were white were christians and he hated them due to white people doing bad things to African American people that many of them are islam. One examples from my life that i can relate to the new subject learning of Malcom X’s is when Malcom x was having fun or excitement in learning new words that he never new and I had a similar thing is when I was doing algebra first I did not really liked the topic but than I started to have fun solving the problem and this is similar to Malcolm X.

4. Tyrone

Here is an example of a physics problem and its solution using the 6-point framework:

Context: I am studying kinematics in Phys 1433 which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the causes of their motion. I want to practice applying the kinematic equations to solve problems involving the displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time of moving objects.

Observations: I found a web page that has some sample problems and solutions on kinematics1. I chose the following problem to work on:

A car starts from rest and accelerates uniformly over a time of 5.21 seconds for a distance of 110 m. Determine the acceleration of the car.

Questions: The problem asks me to find the acceleration of the car, which is one of the kinematic variables. I need to identify the other kinematic variables that are given in the problem and use them to find the acceleration.

Strategies: I can use the kinematic equations to relate the kinematic variables and solve for the unknown one. There are four kinematic equations, but only one of them has acceleration, displacement, initial velocity, and time as variables. That equation is: d=vit+1/2*at^2

where d

d is the displacement, v

i

vi

​ is the initial velocity, t

t is the time, and a

a is the acceleration.

Concepts: To use this equation, I need to plug in the values of the given variables and solve for the unknown one. I also need to make sure that the units are consistent and that the answer has the correct number of significant figures and units.

Conclusion: The solution is as follows:

Given: d

=

110

d=110 m, v

i

=

0

vi

​=0 m/s, t

=

5.21

t=5.21s

Answer: The acceleration of the car is 8.10 m/s^2.

I think the 6 points worked well for the physics problem I chose, because they helped me organize my thoughts and approach the problem systematically. I did not have to reinterpret any of the 6 steps, because they were applicable to the problem as it was. I would recommend the 6-point framework to my classmates in physics, because it can help them solve problems more efficiently and accurately. I think the 6-point framework can be useful for other classes as well, as long as the steps are adapted to the specific context and goals of the problem.