It was interesting reading Gurba’s work. She uses a language not very common in literature and it makes the whole thing just different. She does not try to be professional at all. I found her language to be vulgar, but considering what she is writing about, it kind of makes sense that she is upset at how her country is being portrayed. It is also interesting that she uses so many spanish words in an English writing, But this just show how she loves her culture and origin. Expressions such as “I wryly grin at these fulanos” and her calling “spanish Spanglish” show that she probably has a good sense of humor.

She writes about Americans not considering Mexicans as equal, and raised numerous cases of racism and American lack of consideration towards people of color, but she was mostly about the book that portrayed Mexico a way she did not like. I can relate to some of her feelings such as being looked down on, not being considered as equal in short terms, racism. The book, the “American Dirt” is what really upset her. She refers the author of the book (Cummins) as a self hated Mexican who does not have the required qualifications to write Dirt. Considering what Cummins mentions in the book, I understand her feelings, that if anyone is from your place and represents it wrong through a book, one might be in the same mood. But I would definitely present it in a different “language” (less vulgar).