I can still remember the date I purchased my first drill!. It was six years ago I migrated to the United States. My first job was being an apprentice for a small air-conditioning and heating shop in Brooklyn. I wasn’t doing much, passing tools to the senior mechanics most of the day and making minimum wage. I wanted to do more on the job, so I decided I would start saving my money and purchase my tools little by little.

I finally saved up enough money, and I was so excited to purchase my first tool finally. I did not know much about tools at the time, so I asked the store clerk to show me the strongest cordless drill they have for sale. He showed me a red and black Milwaukee drill. At the time, I only loved the drill because it was my favorite color combination, red and black.

I put that drill to work! I used it for everything possible, making holes big and small, driving screws into metal or wood, or securing items onto brick or drywalls. Purchasing the drill pushed me to buy a new tool every week; soon, I had a competent set of tools to get the required jobs done.

My drill fell to the floor over 200 times and a total of 1600 feet, mostly because I can be a bit clumsy with my tools. The handle melted because I carelessly left it on a freshly welded piece of copper pipe. It sometimes makes a funny sound when in use, but six years and many beatings later, my drill still serves me well when I am at work.

My drill often reminds me of how much I have learned along the way in my career, and it started with the purchase of my first drill. It reminds me that I did not know anything about air conditioning and heating at some point, and I should be willing to share my knowledge with men or women who are starting fresh in the trade the way I did. My drill will forever be my favorite tool.