Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Christina Cantone, Critiquing Anonymous

What I liked about her work was the fact that she rose up from all the tragic events in her life. She did not let the failures of others in her life get her down. She took them in stride and worked to rebuild, repair, and reset from the damage. Life is an unpredictable game we go through, cards we get dealt will always have a way of changing us. Events that are experienced through life don’t define us, it’s how we choose to grow and learn from them that shows what we are capable of.

We are not just individual pieces but a whole puzzle. It takes tremendous bravery to write about the negative aspects of one’s personal life, even so, she does not play the victim. I liked how she showed strength when she was picking up the pieces and making future plans. I also liked when she showed a vulnerable side explaining that even though she is strong she is afraid . A question I have for anonymous is if you could go back would there be anything you would do differently? What kind of classes did you teach ? Has having a child changed the way you look at life ? 

1. Eamon Bolger

I agree that the story was very inspiring in some way as it is something that i can say i have never experience and i can imagine its something most people don’t go through. I think that it makes her a better writer having these kind of experiences to reflect off of.

2. Yasmine

I agree and feel that it was admirable that she didn’t play victim. Now thinking back to the passage it’s true that she was never feeling sorry for herself. The point of her writing this piece was to speak up for other women while putting her trials out there.

3. Felix Mejia

I also agree that it was probably hard for her to write about her life like it was a “Story”. When we think about events like this we always think of fiction, when it could easily happen when the right conditions appear along with the wrong intentions. In the story it was clear that the husband wanted all along all what she got… and he did. I am saddened that a successful woman like her had to recur to anonymity to protect herself but in doing so she could teach viewers, writers and woman what a woman can go through in the field of writing.