Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Rakib Hassan, Meet My Computer

For a while now I always loved playing video games and loved how intricate a computer was. This is where I now spend most of my time virtually learning, gaming, and talking to my friends by having good conversations and joking around. I love the way I built my computer, the ways it works, and the way it makes my virtual learning experience easier during these times.

Coming from an immigrant family, it was hard to afford anything expensive such as a home desktop. Luckily, my uncle gave a desktop computer as a home warming gift in 2006. From there on I would love surfing the internet and learn how a computer works. We had the desktop for over ten years still running windows XP; I moved on to a little laptop since the computer was very outdated and was running on its last legs.

Later my friends said they liked playing games on their computer and asked that I should get one to play with them. So I worked small stuff to work on buying the parts to make my own desktop, my parent were supportive and lent me some money on my birthday; all those times breaking down and rebuilding my old family home desktop paid off! Years later it was basically the same process with the help from YouTube and message boards. It was a great experience knowing I made something I’ve been dreaming about having for a while.

1. Zlancaster

Hey Rakib, that’s a cool story that shows hard work pays off. I might have given up after my home computer broke, so definitely I respect your determination to make it work. What games do you play with your friends now?

• Rakib Hassan

Hey, thanks for the read and comment! As of now I play Destiny 2, Call of Duty ColdWar, and Overwatch. You play any games? If so which ones?

2. Zhen Deng

Thank you for sharing this heartwarming story. It is true that the things that are harder to get, the more one would appreciate them. How much did it cost you to build this computer? What brand did you choose?

• Rakib Hassan

Thanks for the reply! The build cost was $1500, and I mainly used brands named Corsair, Evga, and Samsung.

3. Ariel Itshaik

I love your dedication to building your PC. It’s amazing to have read about how you put so much effort and even worked small jobs to pay for parts to upgrade your PC. It shows how much you can truly focus and that’s a great quality for a person to have. I wish I could see your PC and see how all your upgrades turned out!