Maci always grew up feeling different from the other girls around her. She never wanted to play with dolls, play dress up or wear make up. She often asked herself ,”Why do I feel this way, am I not normal?” but how could she every find the answer to that question. Although she was struggling with this, she had her bestfriend Chad with her at all times to help her talk about her emotions. Whenever she was feeling down about herself she would sneak out her window and they would meet down by the creek where they played when they were little. She would say to Chad, “Is it wrong for me to feel like I don’t identify with body that I was born into?” He said , “Its not wrong but, what are you going to do about it ?” The two friends came up with an idea to try and make Maci feel more comfortable.

Chad offered Maci some of his clothes to wear so that she didn’t feel suffocated in a dress that she felt was not for her and didn’t fit the mental picture she had of herself. On the first day back to school, she met up with Chad wearing a simple skater tee and baggy jeans with her favorite chucks which were the least girly item she owned. Wearing that outfit she explained to Chad that its like a weight being lifted off her shoulders. She didn’t feel limited to sitting with her leg’s cross or worry about the wind lifting up her dress. When it came time to go outside at lunch she was ecstatic because now she was able to play soccer and basketball with no worries.

Maci’s bestfriend has given her glimpse of happiness and what could maker her life fill with joy. she was no longer burdened by these dresses and skirts that made her feel less than who she was. Chad was proud to see his bestfriend come out of her shell and do what was best for her. He’s sat on the sidelines for years watching his friend mask who she was and he no longer has to do so.