Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Jason Weaver: Whatever Happened to _____, Critique

From the beginning I assumed that it would be about a bitter, weak husband who was jealous of his successful wife. I was not surprised and hurt by her work. I understand her pain to a degree. She described male violence as “cliche” and “tedious as well as traumatizing.” To which concur, but I would expand this unto life not just male violence. The writer is of obvious skill and I enjoyed her eloquent writing. Based off her writing style I would like to read one of her books. She seems very talented. I do not have many questions besides why it took so long for her to leave, however, I cannot judge. The situation was dire, and it is arduous to get rid of a persistent person, especially a significant other who may feel “entitled” to you. She did what she felt was right at the time to protect herself and her daughter. I feel for her going through that type of violence, I too have gone through some form of domestic violence as a child. It was between my stepfather and my mother, I attempted to intervene at the time albeit I was around ten years old. It can throw life out of whack and bog you down. She still managed to hold on to her dream. How does this make me feel? I dare not say.

1. aaamrin

Yes, he was obviously very jealous by how talented his wife was! Most households that have abusive relationships is because of this exact reason, too!