Prof. Jessica Penner | OL10 | Spring 2021

Ann Patchett’s Critique

After reading Patchett’s work I can say I enjoyed how well she can describe an event. Every time she was explaining anything it was very descriptive and It was very easy to picture what she was describing. Whether it was the U -haul shared by her and her stepsister to how Lucy looked, she gave a vivid image through her words. My only question I have is why there are sudden transitions, It was too many constant changes in the story.

1. Jason Jordan

I agree with you about how well she can describe an event. Like when she was describing how Lucy look, you can almost picture here. Also with the U-Haul truck you can get a feel for how hot it was if M&M’s were melting and they had to sit on towels because the seats were hot.

2. Christina C.

I agree with your assessment about how the author was very descriptive with her work. She went into great detail when recalling the events that took place with the type of vehicle, how the air conditioning and radio was broken, the song she sang with her sister, how the weather was outside, and the scenery they were passing. All this description paints a clear picture of what that moment was truly like.

3. Eamon Bolger

I definitely agree with you I to could very easily understand and visualize what the author was talking about. But the sudden transitions in the story constantly threw me off as it was a sudden change in what the author was talking about