Before class time on Wednesday, April 6, students will do the following…
- Read my Announcement.
- Write a NEW story in any POV you like (First Person or Third Person), but focus on the setting and, by changing the setting, you’re probably refocusing the context.
- You have two options for Short Story 2.
- Take your story from Journal 5 and fictionalize it by putting it in a totally different setting.
- Or, you can take your story from Week 8’s exercise (using the pictures A, B, or C), and place that story in a totally different setting.
- More settings from Creative Writing Now:
Have your story take place…
- in a tattoo parlor
- at the zoo at night
- in an abandoned hospital
- in a submarine
- in a magnet factory
- in the vault of a bank
- in a bridal shop
- in the kitchen of Buckingham Palace
- on the edge of a cliff
- entirely in the dark
- You aren’t required to use one of these settings, of course, but hopefully you see what I’m wanting you to focus on!
- First draft is due on Wednesday!
- You don’t have to post it yet, but have it ready by class time! We’re doing something different for our reviews on Tuesday. (Check your City Tech email for more information!)
During and after class on Wednesday, April 6, we will…
- Do a “Review Marathon” of everyone’s stories! (Check your City Tech email for more information.)
- You must respond to everyone’s stories (that are posted on the Google Doc by 11:59 PM on April 6) by Wednesday, April 13!
- If you don’t respond to all the stories, you won’t receive credit, so be sure to check this doc on Thursday morning to see if anyone posted a story after you finished!
- If you don’t post a story on the Google Doc by the April 6 deadline, you’ve forfeited the right to have your story reviewed by your peers. Want some feedback? Come visit me during an office hour!
- Journal Assignment 6: Reflect on your experience with short story writing—good, bad, so-so, and why. Title it Full Name, Journal 6 and save it under the category Journals by 11:59 PM on Wednesday, April 13.
- Revise Short Story 1. The final draft must be titled Full Name, Short Story 1 (Revised) under Short Stories by 11:59 PM on Wednesday, April 6.
- Edit your short story and rename it Full Name, Short Story 2 (Revised) by class time on Wednesday, April 27.
- Remember that book of poetry I gave you? See the picture of the cover to jog your memory. Dig that out and choose four that you enjoy. (This will be used later in the class.)
- Read/Watch Staceyann Chin’s “Tsunami Rising.” Be ready to discuss it in class!
Leave a Reply