It is interesting that this prompt specifically asks for enjoyment. This memoir was not enjoyable for me to read, nor do I think the author intend it to be read for enjoyment. In terms of questions or critiques, most of the confusion or criticism I have for this memoir is mostly out of the author’s control. The author claims various systems are flawed, mostly notably the patriarchy and the justice system, but fails to actually provide any evidence to support her claims. Personally, I would have liked to read the court case that decided that her husband received the joint marriage funds, but of course, the author is unable to share it for safety reasons. She blames general patriarchy for her ex-husband’s behavior, but only mentions a small part of their relationship, and does not mention a necessary second perspective on the story. The former is, again, for unavoidable safety reasons, while the second is due to the nature of memoirs ingeneral. That isn’t to say I believe the author is being deceptive, but I do have doubts whether the experiences she relies on to form her opinions are reliable and free from bias.

Overall, the memoir was engaging, if depressing, to read, but difficult to evaluate and seriously consider because of various, unfortunate, circumstances.