Before class on Wednesday, February 23, students will…
- Read my Announcement.
- Read Myriam Gurba’s “Pendeja, You Ain’t Steinbeck: My Bronca with Fake-Ass Social Justice Literature.” (This file can be found by clicking the red text–the file is in the Course Profile.)
- Critique Anonymous’ work. What did you enjoy? What questions do you have? Post it under Discussions. Title it Full Name, Anonymous’ Critique by class time on Wednesday, February 23.
- Revise and rename “Meet My ____” to Full Name, Memoir 1 (Revised) and post it under Memoir by class time on Wednesday, February 23.
During and after class, we will DISCUSS and WRITE…
- We’ll discuss Plot in memoir (and other genres) and look at how the memoirists we’ve read have shared plot in their work.
- We’ll be using a worksheet in the Course Profile for this activity: ENG1141 Plot Analysis Worksheet.
- We’ll discuss Gurba’s work and compare/contrast it to Anonymous and Patchett’s work. How are they the same? How are they different? Which did you enjoy more and why?
- Write a critique of Gurba’s work. What did you enjoy? What questions do you have for the author? Title it Full Name, Gurba’s Work. Post it under Discussions. Post this critique by Wednesday, March 2.
- Post Journal Assignment 2: Write about a time you’ve felt you were anonymous (either by choice or not). Title it Full Name, Journal 2 and post it under Journals. Post this journal by Wednesday, March 2. (Wordcount: 200-300.)
- Begin to work on a NEW memoir piece.
- You can use either Journal 1 or 2 as inspiration for the memoir, or share something else, as long as it fits in the memoir category (telling a particular story about your life from your perspective).
- You’ll be submitting it to your Cohort on Wednesday, March 2, so don’t wait until the last minute to work on this assignment! 🙂
- Wordcount: 500 words (or more).
- Before class on Wednesday, post your first draft, titled Full Name, Memoir 2 and save it under Memoir.