When I was around 17 years old I have always had a soft spot for dogs, in particular Welsh Corgis. I have always openly showed my admiration for Corgis in front of my friends and family but I was always hessitant to get one due to the responsibilities. Also, owning a dog in the city is not the most convenient thing since most apartments and buildings don’t allow pets. On December 25th 2021, I received a Facetime call from my boyfriend and we were talking about revealing each other’s Christmas gift at the same time. Around this time, I caught COVID and was unable to spend the holidays with him and his family which took a toll on my mental state. I have been living in New York by myself since I was 17 and it would have been my first Christmas with people I consider Family in the past 3 years.

A few minutes into the call, I heard him yelling, “Benito!” And within seconds a baby Corgi was running his direction. I was so shocked and repeatedly asked him “is that my dog? Did you get me a Corgi for Christmas?” I could not stop smiling but I was also sad because I was not able to see him until the following week. As much as I hate to admit it, I did tear up during the call as I was overjoyed and beyond thankful towards my boyfriend. He told me that him and his mom drove to Virginia to pick Benito up from a beautiful Amish family and had to stay overnight at his aunt’s house. Eventually, I was able to meet him and spend time with him. It has been a stressful few weeks as I am still in the middle of training him but, he loves to eat, take naps, and run around. He may look very innocent and cute but he is very mischevious. 

After spending time with Benito, I immediately fell in love with him. Techniqually, he is me and my boyfriend’s responsibility which is a great way for the both of us to bond and strengthen our relationship. My boyfriend mentioned that he noticed I tend to feel lonely when I am at the apartment by myself so he got Benito to keep me company and brighten my day. If I had to give my little fur-ball away, without hessitation I would give him to my boyfriend and his family.