Prof. Jessica Penner | D304 | Spring 2022

Dree-Nica Isemar, Memoir 1 (Revised)

I always loved wearing necklaces. They were my go-to accessory along with earrings. However, I am allergic to certain metals and wearing them will cause me to break out in a rash. Those metals include fake silver, silver and nickel. And that really has been frustrating because there are so many cute styles, and yet I cannot wear them. My mother has been wearing a necklace for as long as I can remember. She bought it before I was born and had it since. She realized how I have been struggling to find one that would not affect me that she decided to give me hers, knowing I would be able to wear it without breaking out. It was random when she gave it to me. I was just sitting and talking about how I need to go find stores that sell good quality necklaces and earrings and she just handed it to me. I was pretty shocked. I never thought she would just give me that necklace of hers knowing how she had it.

The necklace is a gold chain that has a small gold globe charm. Shows of what type of high quality of metals I need to wear.

This necklace has become something that built a connection to my mother. Knowing in the future it will be here to help me remember her. I know I could never lose it since it has so much value in my eyes. I hope that if I have a child, I would like to pass it down and it could become a family thing with value.

1. Aide

Hi, love your story is so personal and so interesting. I can relate to the fact I have sensitive skin as well and I can only wear gold items. I love how detail you are with the necklace and how personal is to you. I can understand where you are coming from, the feeling its so valuable and personal and yet some what very history to you.

2. Lisa Narinedhat

I enjoyed reading how this necklace created a connection with your mother and how now you want to make it a tradition by passing it down to your children. That was a very sweet gesture of her to let you wear hers since you can’t wear certain ones. Is there a certain place you can get the necklaces that won’t affect you ? And if so are they expensive?

3. Atta Tariq

I like how you started it and you caught my attention. I love the part your mom gave it to you. what was your reaction when your mom gave it to you?

4. Waleed Qureshi

I really enjoyed the significance of the necklace and it was really nice to know that your mother’s jacket didn’t have any bad reaction to you and how you want to continue this passing down of the necklace.