Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Dylan Nanjad, Tsunami Rising

Chin’s rendition was jarring. I’ve never heard someone speak so openly at a public gathering. But it was more than that. Her frustration and pure rage at those responsible for the suffering of blacks was palpable. Every syllable is enunciated with the intent of sharing that pain and inciting others to join in the silent war that has been going on for centuries. Listening to her made me uncomfortable to an extent, and I realized it was because what she said was true. The amount of atrocities committed against black women in America is horrifying. Chin wasn’t afraid to bring it to light.

1. Angelica Hernandez

Hi Dylan, I get how it’s sort of shocking hearing someone speak freely at a public gathering, but I think it was appropriate for her poem. I like how you said it made you uncomfortable to then understanding because it’s the truth she and others face.

2. nickay82

Hi Dylan

I understand how Chin’s poem can be uncomfortable for not only you but for many others who cannot relate to a black woman’s pain. Not saying you don’t care about the issue, what I am saying is the topic chin was speaking on is something that people don’t speak on openly and often. Because of this, when someone does speak out without fear, it can leave people a little on edge even those the message is intended for.

3. Amna Ahmed

Hi Dylan, I agree that she enunciated her words to demonstrate her pain. Throughout her reading, Chin purposefully emphasized certain words to illustrate the impact that these words have had on her.

4. Mohammed Hashim

Hello Dylan, I liked what you said about Chin was shedding light to some real racism that’s been in existence for ages. She wasn’t afraid to tell people about how some black women were treated and that it’s not normal.