Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Mohammed Hashim, formal critique “The Water Dancer”

Reviewer’s Name: Mohammed Hashim

Title of Piece:  The Water Dancer     Author’s Name: Ta-Nehisi Coate

Plot: The author talks about a water dancer that was her birth mother who she heard stories about but doesn’t really remember her like that so she talks about the water dancer throughout the chapter. The author also talks about how she has a brother that she always took care of but at the end of the story they were in a situation of never return where she saw a lot of her memories float in her mind taking her into a ride of her own resolutions.

Question- What is the reward that you recieved supposed to mean to you?

Characters: The author mentions the water dancer, her mother, her brother, her father and the villagers that talks about old time stories. I think her mother was a well known character in her town which was pretty cool.

Question- What happened to your father?

Setting & Context: A town in Virginia and where a bridge is located by the town that the characters are involved in to tell the story of the water dancer.

Question- How often do you hear about your mother?

Voice & Style: 

Question- How’d you describe your father?

Dialogue: The dialogues used by her brother when he was asking for help by yelling and begging for her to save him really shows how the character is and made the audience understand the situation better.

1. Jozelyn

Hi Mohammed, in regards to what you said in the dialogue section, I agree with you. The narrator explains that he had to save his brother, Maynard, countless of times and be his right arm. In this situation it was just another representation of how his brother needed saving again. However, the narrator did not save his brother because he was finally thinking of himself and what he wants.

2. Angelica Hernandez

Hi Mohammed, nice critique! I was thinking the same thing as I was reading your plot section. I think that the traumatic event was the main character bother drowning.

3. Account Deleted

Hi Mohammed,
    I really liked what you said about the author’s plot. The author talks about a water dancer that was her birth mother who she heard stories about but doesn’t really remember her like that so she talks about the water dancer.