ENG1141

Creative Writing

Formal Critique

Formal Critique: Angelica Hernandez  

Title: The Wife’s Story Author:Ursula K. Leguin

Plot: The plot of this story is that the narrator finds out that her husband is a werewolf, and she’s in disbelief because she had no idea. I really enjoyed it because I didn’t think it was a fictional story so it really caught me by surprise, it made me read it twice because I was that shocked. Also the idea of not knowing who someone truly is, the message in this story can easily be transitioned to problems people have in real life.

Characters: How did the husband react when his secret is revealed?

Point of View: The story is told in the wife’s point of view and she finds out and witnesses her husband physically change, seeing him in that form made her physically unable to move out of shock. She also talks about how she met him and made some connections that relate to his form.

Does the reader ever get to know the husbands point of view?

Setting & Context: Does this story take place in a fictional or nonfictional place?

Voice & Style: I like the author’s word choice and the way they wrote this story because as you read you become more surprised and the authors choice of words help express the sadness and shock that the character has. 

Dialogue: The dialogue gave off a very realistic vibe. I thought at first it was going to be about a wife finding out that her husband has been unfaithful.

Does the wife end up trying to speak to her “husband”?