Prof. Jessica Penner | OL05 | Fall 2020

Formal Critique, Angelica H.

ENG1141

Creative Writing

Formal Critique

Formal Critique: Angelica Hernandez  

Title: Pendeja, You Ainā€™t Steinbeck: My Bronca with Fake-Ass Social Justice Literature Author:Myriam Gurba

Plot: The author gave the reader a review of a book called ā€œAmerican Dirtā€ which she was asked to review. The book talks down on Mexican people and expresses the disappointment from her point of view as a Mexican woman. Then Gurba amazingly bashes the author of the book, Cummins because in her book she essentially wanted to talk negatively on Mexicans and insert herself into a group she knows nothing about and herself isn’t apart from. To support that Gurba said that Cummins uses phrases such as ā€œel norteā€ and other spanish words to insert herself (in my pov). A Lot of non Hispanic people tend to talk down on Hispanics as if they understood their struggles and culture, and I’m glad that Gurba wasn’t afraid to call out Cummins on it.

Characters: In Cummins book she inserts stereotypes and identifies as Latinx which seems like a way to receive less backlash on her book although she said it’s due to her Puertorican grandmother. I don’t buy it. It’s still terrible on Cummins end because she isnt isnt Mexican, and just to assume or to just believe wrong stereotypes is disgusting.

Question: What would be a message to people who speak on things they know nothing about?

Point of View: The article is from the Authors POV, she’s a mexican woman who isn’t afraid to discuss or put a filter over her thoughts. She expresses her anger and disappointment about the book.

Setting & Context: In the beginning of the article Gurba gives some contest about her telling gringos (a term for white people used in Latin/hispanic countries)grandfather who was a publicist in Mexico and based on their emotions they were in shock. I believe that people react like that because from their point of view and what they heard of they don’t think Mexico is that developed as a country. As someone who’s Mexican, there’s more than what you think. Gurba gives an introduction to her topic by telling the reader that Cummins wrote a terrible book and then explains why.

Question: Do you ever find other people’s responses offensive or rude?

Voice & Style: I love Gerbas choice of words because it’s very unfiltered. She uses  curse words and slang. It felt very welcoming and her choice of words allowed her to fully express emotion and show others her personality.

Question: Are there times where you refrain from speaking freely on things you’re passionate about?

Dialogue: Gurba would use dialogue to express or add onto her writing and to show interactions that correlate to her writing.

Question: Did Cummins get to see what you wrote about her book? If so, what was her response?

1. Jozelyn

I agree that people who do not understand Hispanic/Latino culture and the struggles they encounter make it seem like they do understand. However, what the seem to “know” is based on assumptions of how Hispanics are already portrayed. As a Colombian and Dominican, I applauded Gurba for releasing her unpublished review of “Dirt.” They editor and even Cummin herself tried to take the voice from Gurba and Mexicans, but Gurba got it right back! I do have the same question as you regarding Cummin reaching out to Gurba about the review.